Insurance Company Bad Faith on my PIP Claim?

You had better get a lawyer because it sounds like they are denying the claim. It may be that you do not have the coverage that you think. Do you live in the household with your father? How old are you?

lol trust me i have the coverage!!! I wasnt denied because i had no coverage

I lived with my dad for 25 years now. I'm 25

Every time I read this thread, I just scratch my head. There is something missing.

You are going to sit down with someone and go over everything. Your dad's policy, the rental agreement on the car, the accident report, everything. In all likelihood, that person is going to be an attorney. There is a disconnect somewhere. It makes no sense for them to keep referring you back to your brother's policy, particularly when it is lapsed.

Unfortunately, it appears that this forum isn't going to be able to solve this problem for you. You really are going to have to sit down with someone and review everything.

Additional information is necessary; however, just reading this and based off of what you've stated there are about three scenarios:

You said you were renting a vehicle and that you were involved in a loss, and the other person was under insured (I think I read that). You submitted the claim to your insurance company and they denied it.

My first question is, do you own a vehicle? When you say you submitted it to your insurance company, are you referring to a homeowners policy or your father's insurance for his taxi (business) or, if you have a vehicle, was it to your auto insurance company? That will assist me in attempting to answer your question;however, I'll try to answer it this way with the assumption that you don't have an auto policy (you can correct me if that's wrong).

1. If you had no auto policy and were involved in a loss, and your brother resided with you and at one point and time had insurance, that may be why that claims person was advising you to do that; however, if his policy had lapsed/or was cancelled, there would be no coverage for your damages, because there was no active policy in force at the time of loss. They would send you either one and/or both a ROR (reservation of rights letter advising that they were investigating the loss, and it may not be covered based on...whatever policy language they cite); or they could just flat out deny the loss.

2. If your father has a taxi (business policy), you (more than likely) would not be able to be claimed on that policy because it's a business policy; however, there are other things involved, and I won't get in-depth with that since I don't have enough information.

3. If you were attempting to have a homeowners policy cover your med bills, they do not cover first party injury losses; ie, if a household person who is an insured on a policy is injured on their own property, they can not make a claim against themselves (1st party coverage); thus, it could not be extended to an auto loss, and again, this would be denied by a homeowners policy.

I am not certain of NY or Florida laws in respect to health care coverage, but if you have health care, you may (again you would need to check and see) be able to put in a claim with your employer sponsored health care policy, but I'm not 100% of that. Again, with the information provided, there are too many unclear items, but I addressed each at a high level and perhaps you could provide additional information.

In respect to the attorney situation, you may want to seek counsel at this point if what you say is true, that you allege the other driver was at-fault striking you in the rental vehicle and causing you the injuries you sustained.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back