Insurance for a rarely driven car

Good for you. Have you tried www.metromile.com? They claim their primary rating characteristic is mileage. Keep in mind, though, IF you do have an accident, but buying directly without an agent advocate, you're on your own for disputed claims.

Metromile: I checked their website last night. While the concept is good, they only insure cars from 1996 on up, because apparently they use a device similar to Progressive Snapshot to track mileage, which plugs into the OBDII port, which a 1990 would not have.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Hagerty's lists coverage for your vehicle at $500 for the year on a vehicle listed at 15K of value. No daily driver. Ice cream shops or shows, 100 miles driven per month. Do the paperwork and see if they will insure your risk. You can list yourself as the only driver which would exclude coverage if anyone else gets behind the wheel

Hagerty's lists coverage for your vehicle at $500 for the year on a vehicle listed at 15K of value. No daily driver. Ice cream shops or shows, 100 miles driven per month. Do the paperwork and see if they will insure your risk. You can list yourself as the only driver which would exclude coverage if anyone else gets behind the wheel
I put a like on your post, not because I know anything about Hagerty, but because I hope it causes op to reconsider not making effort to apply to other logical carriers because one turned him down.

Long story short, someone on this forum suggested that I look at collector car insurance and that I should be able to get coverage through one of several they suggested

I think that was me.

I sent in an application to Grundy and just got a response back that my application was declined, because a) my vehicle carries no type of Collector status, and b) my vehicle is not a Show vehicle

That's just Grundy. I have had Crown Vic and Plymouth sedans of the late 80s insured with J. C. Taylor. Have you tried J.C. Taylor?

Of the ones I've looked into, they all state on their web sites that it's Classic or Collectors car insurance.

"Collector car" has a very broad definition among those insurance companies.

I didn't come here for someone to tell me to get rid of my car.

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed at those responses.

I, and a lot of others, have had to pay household teen driver premiums on our extra vehicles

So have I. But I also controlled my insurance costs by having my "collector vehicles" insured on collector car policies and my teen didn't drive them.

Does it make sense to you that I should pay $500 when it will probably only be driven 5% of the time and ONLY by me?

No, it doesn't. But the reality is that, if it doesn't qualify for collector car insurance, you and I are both stuck paying regular rates.

My 2011 Crown Vic is my daily car and my back up is a 2003 Dakota which is rarely driven but kept licensed and insured on my regular policy the same way as the Crown Vic. I don't get a break either. In fact, my insurance company won't apply my AARP driver training discount to both vehicles. I would move in a heartbeat but nobody else can beat the price yet.

The car in question is a Mazda MX-6 GT

Thanks for finally revealing that. :noteworthy:

I looked it up and don't agree that it's not a "collectible."

In addition to adding J.C.Taylor and Condon & Skelly to your search (don't sweat the postage - a lot of this can be done online and by email) I suggest you visit the following websites devoted to the MX-6 and see where they are insuring their cars. Note that there is an insurance tab at the top of each page.

Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum

Mazda MX-6 Forum

Back