Insurance Part Time- What Products Do You Sell?

GCguy

I have posted elsewhere on this site, but I'm really curious as to what others think.

I am a newly licensed P&C, L&H producer. The material that I studied seem to be interesting and I know the job would be fun once the "ball begins to roll." However, I would be leaving a safe, stable and fair-paying management position to pursue the insurance business. I think I heard a buddy of mine call me "nuts" for even considering this option.

Some say, "no risk, no gain," but I'm trying to be realistic about my decision...after all, I don't want to commit career suicide. Now that I have the necessary licenses, I've considered to work on having two incomes. How successful have you been selling L&H and/or P&C products part-time? Is this a possibility within the industry? If so, where do you suggest I begin to look for part-time insurance work? I do work daylight hours, so working a few hours in the evenings is a possibility.

I appreciate all comments.

If you search other threads about part-time selling it's a pretty well covered topic. The short answer is that your buddy saying your nuts is probably more correct than you'd like to think. It's difficult to get enough momentum going to make it worth your time and energy if you're not doing it at least 20 hours/week without distractions. When you come home from your day job you're not going to be at your best and you're basically going to be giving your insurance career your emotional/mental leftovers. Considering that a high percentage of insurance agents fail when they are going at it full-time, you're only hurting your chances of success more by going part-time and drastically so.

What made you want to get into selling insurance? Have you narrowed down what you want to sell?

Thanks for the info. I have my P&C and L&H license so I imagine something along those policies. As far as what directed me to insurance, about 5 years ago I explored an opportunity with State Farm, but it wasn't until an opportunity with Farmers that really sparked my interest. One of the most appealing things, is the independence and freedom of working for myself. I comfortable talking with people and I have an entrepreneur mind-set. All that said, I don't if making this move at my career expense is right for me to pursue.

I am still young (late 20's), so if things do not work out I do have time to recover. Do you have any experience working for Farmers? They do make it affordable to enter into the insurance business whereas other companies require an initial investment. The biggest I see is building my own book of business...and, it's not even a book of business as they would retain the business if I decided to leave.

How did you begin your insurance career? Did you start by yourself or work for somebody?

Back