Insuring a baby without a birth certificate and ss card

Sam

Founder
Administrator
If a parent would like to put their newborn on a separate health plan, but the baby does not yet have a social security number or birth certificate, can they do so?

newborn is considered mother

The newborn is considered as the mother for a period of time, a month I think. So she would not need to be on a policy until the paperwork is done and the birth cert and social arrive. It is also possible to get a birth cert if the baby is born at home with correct documentation. (I don't know this b/c of insurance, my wife is a midwife)

Melmunch3 said:
If a parent would like to put their newborn on a separate health plan, but the baby does not yet have a social security number or birth certificate, can they do so?

Need the check to rules of the carrier. Some require that the baby is 30 days old and already completed the 1st well-baby check up. But you don't need a social.

Why do they want the baby on a separate policy? This will almost certainly require a birth certificate & SS#.

Assume you are speaking of individual, not group coverage.

somarco said:
Why do they want the baby on a separate policy? This will almost certainly require a birth certificate & SS#.

Assume you are speaking of individual, not group coverage.

lots of reasons.....group to expensive....or the mother not going back to work and plan is on her.....and some carriers do not require SS#......

Back