Interesting Stoke Case, Need Help in NC

I think where I run into the issue is that BCBS has a guaranteed issue plan called Blue Assurance but the lowest cost plan is $1300/month and she can't afford that.

If the BCBSNC guaranteed issue policy is unaffordable, there may be emergency grants available to help with the premium for one month through United Way member charities, Catholic Charities, or other charitable organizations.

Other options besides insurance: Check for free clinics in the area. Contact the social worker at the nearest hospital and/or teaching hospital/ medical school, like Duke. They have low to no cost options for financial hardship patients.

Contact www.patientadvocate.org, Patient Advocate Foundation for information about possible drug company programs to help with any brand name medications. Patient Advocate Foundation may know of other possibilities.

It's good in any case to learn about local resources for future use, and make contacts there. I know an agent who does service for families, like helping look up lost life policies and gets tons of referrals from mortuaries. When I started selling MAPD's that help low income recipients I saw how knowledge of all these services is a good thing.

Last edited:
Back