International student looking for family insurance in VA

bomberb17

Hello,
I am a PhD international student in VA. I am already covered under my university's insurance. My monthly stipend is about $2000.
I am going to permanently bring my family in the area in September (spouse and 2 children, one of them is US citizen). My university offers the option to enroll them in my insurance, but the annual cost is huge for me (over $7k). So I am looking for a solution.
What I was looking at first is buying travel insurance for them that has equivalent benefits, and has a much lower cost (about $2500), however it is only offered for maximum of 364 days and is not renewable. I'm not sure if that option has any more downsides.
The other option I was looking at is healthcare.gov. Given my low income, I think I might qualify for a premium discount or subsidy, however the enrollment period begins on November 15.
I am also not very familiar with the insurance system in the US.
My questions are
a) If I enrolled them to my insurance and pay the $7k, could I get later any subsidy or return through healthcare.gov?
b) How about the option for travel insurance, then waiting for the enrollment period at healthcare.gov?
Thank you

You'll need to verify this at healthcare.gov but I don't think your citizen spouse would have to wait until Nov 15 to get coverage on herself and the children and could very well qualify for a discount by herself. Then you can move over to her policy in Nov if you can't get on it with her now.

My advice. Go first to healthcare.gov and review your options.

I can't imagine that a travel policy for $2500 is going to do much for you by way of medical insurance.

Thank you for your reply.
My wife and one of my kids are not US citizens. My other kid is a US citizen. I'm sorry I didn't clarify this.
I started making an application at healthcare.gov, I selected to make an application for special enrollment, since my family is now coming from overseas. However when it asks the question "when did they move in" I can't select a date in the future (i.e. it seems that they have to arrive first).
I then selected today's date to 'test' it. It eventually gave me an option for $150/mo for a platinum plan, which seems a good deal.
About the travel insurance I was looking at, it is this one
Atlas Travel® Insurance
which seems to have good coverage to me.
What would you suggest? Buying a month of travel insurance then applying at healthcare.gov as soon as they arrive?

I suggest looking at a short term medical plan. I VA area United Healthcare has some good options. Go to Ehealthinsurance.com should give you the rate.

Thank you for the information. I was looking also at Medicaid, I am eligible but it looks like it takes over a month to get approval. Healthcare.gov looks much faster...
So you suggest that I buy a short-term insurance plan for my family like the one you suggested, then apply at healthcare.gov as soon as they arrive?

Back