Iowa Insurance Subscriber with $1 Million Per Month Claims

What happened to patients before 2014 when the lifetime limits were removed? Is this a new treatment? Did they die? Did charities help out? Did hospitals do sliding scale assistance?
I recently did a 3 way call with a Medicare client to a company that makes a new cancer drug (a pill instead of infusion) for a couple of specific types of lymphoma. Retail: $13,000 per month, yes, per month.
The catastrophic coverage after the RX plan would have reached the coverage gap max was still $650/month, and the gap would have been hit after 1st month, fulfilled on 2nd.
Punchline: due to client income, the pharma co would pay 100% of the cost.
Maybe because ACA based plans are a big cash cow for pharma, so they can help their reputation by giving a price break based on income.
Also, I find that ACA based plans just don't put certain RX on their formulary. My state's BCBS, for example, doesn't cover any form of Isotretinoin, more familiar to some as one of the brands, Accutane. (from a recent uninsured referral, seeking insurance for acne drug of last resort on the doc's recommendation, is OK with GoodRx discount, even though the drug will cost over $300/month,--and thanked me for the help--did plan formulary search as an FYI, even though no SEP available)
Then again, the blood disorder infusions may not be considered pharma drugs. Still, pricing seems out of hand, including infusion types.

Last edited:
What happened to patients before 2014 when the lifetime limits were removed? Is this a new treatment? Did they die? Did charities help out? Did hospitals do sliding scale assistance?

This isn't a "new" treatment, it's just a more extreme implementation.

As for what happened pre-2014, all of the above and many more. Many bankrupt their families (remember, medical bills were the #1 reason for personal bankruptcy, 62% of all filed, and 78% had insurance!), some turned to crowdfunding or charity, some turned to alternative medicine, some traveled to different countries where care is cheaper. They did what they had to, what they could; not what was best, not what they wanted.

Last month, I lost a friend to stage 4 lung cancer, in one of the best cancer hospitals in the world. He and his family chose not to treat it, knowing they'd be financially ruined just to prolong the inevitable (and would struggle to cover the end-of-life costs anyway). If the care was free, I'd guarantee he would have seen his daughter go to prom.

This is unfortunately one of those things with no right answer, and certainly, no catch-all blanket answer. When you put yourself in their shoes, when it becomes personal, the perception on what's "fair" certainly changes.

Got a client had malignant neoplasm of ovaries.
This clinic keeping her in remission for third time
oncologiamolecular.com.mx
Chemo failed her...they doing the latest immunotherapy

Back