Is It Better Off Starting An Independent Agency ?

Jimmy Prince

Expert
I talked with a pal of mine Lastnight and he said i should look into my own insurance Business rather then working for farmers or family etc etc. what do you guys think? iam 50 years old is that to old to start a business?:nah:

Re: Better Off Starting a Independent Agency ?

Yes, you are too old, I dont want anymore competition out there!

If i started an insurance business, Believe me There wouldnt be any competition. But you would have to start looking for another line of work....lol

I talked with a pal of mine Lastnight and he said i should look into my own insurance Business rather then working for farmers or family etc etc. what do you guys think? i am 50 years old is that to old to start a business?:nah:

50 is not too old. Definitely do not start as an agent with Farmers, Allstate, or State Farm. From all of my research those are not good deals. Being independent is probably the way to go but it would be extremely hard to do for two reasons: lack of experience and lack of carriers. If I could find a position selling for another agency I would do that for 1-2 years to at least learn the ropes and then I would go for it. Allstate and SF are often looking for people to sell under the career agent.

Last edited:

50 is not too old. Definitely do not start as an agent with Farmers, Allstate, or State Farm. From all of my research those are not good deals. Being independent is probably the way to go but it would be extremely hard to do for two reasons: lack of experience and lack of carriers. If I could find a position selling for another agency and would do that for 1-2 years to at least learn the ropes and then I would go for it. Allstate and SF are often looking for people to sell under the career agent.

X-ray u told him to stay away from farmers allstate and state farm. Then u told him be a career agent for them. I demand an explanation. :swoon::goofy:

you guys that have thousands of posts on here, I need your help. I have very little experience in insurance. i am a convert from trad.wirehouses, I have this feeling that I'm going around in circles trying to figure out what products to offer. what companies to sell. I have been at a sales marketing org. meeting all day that I liked and as soon as I look them up on here it's negativity calling them a one trick pony, thieves, etc. But I've talked to people that are happy there and they seem honest. then guys go back and forth. Then I see there are situations like brokersalliance, seems interesting and convenient but what would you do with all of these companies. How would you know which to sell. Honestly I like the idea of learning one or two products well like indexed univ. life and going with it. agghhh, Thanks for any advice.

you guys that have thousands of posts on here, I need your help. I have very little experience in insurance. i am a convert from trad.wirehouses, I have this feeling that I'm going around in circles trying to figure out what products to offer. what companies to sell. I have been at a sales marketing org. meeting all day that I liked and as soon as I look them up on here it's negativity calling them a one trick pony, thieves, etc. But I've talked to people that are happy there and they seem honest. then guys go back and forth. Then I see there are situations like brokersalliance, seems interesting and convenient but what would you do with all of these companies. How would you know which to sell. Honestly I like the idea of learning one or two products well like indexed univ. life and going with it. agghhh, Thanks for any advice.

Word of advise, stick with one post, dont make multiple asking the same question.

X-ray u told him to stay away from farmers allstate and state farm. Then u told him be a career agent for them. I demand an explanation. :swoon::goofy:

I said to take a position selling under a career agent to learn the ropes. In that case you are not working for Allstate or SF but for their agent.

now there's some great advice, thanks a lot! that clears it all up for me.

You need to spend some time with the agents currently doing the job you are looking at and see if you even want to work in that line of insurance. People can give you advice until they are blue in the face, but the reality is that you have to be happy with your choice. This is not a get rich quick scheme, therefore you need to choose the type of insurance you see yourself selling over the long haul, because it will take a few years to get where you want to be. There are pro's and con's to selling every line of insurance, and you get to decide which one suits you.

Back