Is it good to get the Medicare Advantage as the secondary medical insurance?

compiler

There are many Medicare Advantage marketing letters offering $0 or low monthly premium Medicare Advantage to the people reaching 65. If one carries employer’s group health insurance. Is it good to get Medicare Advantage instead of Part A and B as the secondary medical insurance and why? Thank you for your answer.

Last edited:
My health care provider is the VA.

Last year I bought a Medicare Advantage for several reasons, not necessarily in order of importance.

1 - Cost me nothing.
2 - Reduced my Part B premium by $100 which increased my SS check.
3 - Some vision and dental coverage.
4 - Ability to get a second opinion.

It works for me.

Whether it works for an employee is something that an employee would have to determine.

Fed Up's idea is good.

With all due respenct, you really have no idea how Medicare works and you should not be advising clients on Medicare decisions. A little knowledge can be dangerous. Now, to you questions:
Does employer have more or less than 20 employees?
Does employee contribute to an HSA?
How is employer coverage? Premium? Deductibles? Copays?
Is the employee still actively employed or on some type of retiree plan?
One does not get Medicare Advantage instead of A & B.
Medicare Advantage Plan would not work as secondary coverage.

There are many Medicare Advantage marketing letters offering $0 or low monthly premium Medicare Advantage to the people reaching 65. If one carries employer’s group health insurance. Is it good to get Medicare Advantage instead of Part A and B as the secondary medical insurance and why? Thank you for your answer.
They can't qualify Med Advantage unless they have Part A and Part B.

Is it good to get Medicare Advantage instead of Part A and B
Caveat, not an agent.

I do not have medicare advantage myself, you will have to see what the agents say, but I believe the first flaw in your plan is you have to have Medicare Parts A and B to get a Medicare Advantage plan.

If this person takes A & B but does not take a Supp, and is removed from employer health plan, they may not qualify for Supp in future due to underwriting

Is this different by state? Because this isn’t true in FL. Loss of group coverage would give them a med Supp GI here.

Is this different by state? Because this isn’t true in FL. Loss of group coverage would give them a med Supp GI here.
My friends sister was convinced by the owner of the business to go A&B and get off the company plan in order to save the company money while she continued to work for 5 more years. She then retired and asked me to write a Supp without underwriting as she had pre-existing conditions. I wouldn't do it since she did not have Loss of Group.
Another agent clean-sheet her application.

Back