Is it true 93% of new insurance agents fail within 1st 3 years?!

While I don't think the turnover in this business is that high, it's not a low percentage by far. As a first-year sales manager for LibNat, I hired eight agents in a year; only three of them made it in the business. After the initial 12-week period where they were paid a set salary, the production of the others dropped off considerably. This pattern was, and is, the norm. You begin to see the habits that doom prospective agents; when an agent comes in on Monday morning with no plans, has made no calls, but is not actively engaged in securing appointments, he/she is surely not going to be successful.
One common thread with unsuccessful agents is the habit of counting their money instead of making the money. You have to make every bit of time be consumed with prospecting, appointment setting, presenting, and closing/asking for the sale. If you are consistent in your actions, tour income will be consistent as well. Good habits yield good results in this arena.
Not once has the thought of quitting entered my mind. I was enjoying the challenge of closing every time I went to an appointment. Most of them I didn't close, but roughly half of those leads that I DID close were from those same prospects. First year commissions were $39,000 with a horrible commission structure. At my current commission level as an indy, that would have been more like $50-60K. Since I came into the business as a captive, I had no expense to incur initially. Today, I am not sure about the captive route; it's nothing like it was when I came into the game. Many of the old captives have taken the franchise route.
Having sales experience gives you a leg up in the business, but it is a different animal. Selling items that clients see, feel, and touch is nothing like selling your word and bond. You MUST be a man of your word, because, many times, others are watching you before they decide to do business with you. You'll be surprised; some of your prospects will turn out to be your best clients. They may also evolve into a center of influence for you, with plenty of friends, family and coworkers for you to call on.
Always have someone to see (keep your pipeline full!!!). Good luck, and feel free to reach out if I can help you in any way.

Good stuff. As someone evaluating the industry for a possible jumping in point myself, the biggest challenges I see are the number of contacts per weeks needed in order to generate appointments to take apps and where those initial leads are coming from. I know this will vary depending on market, carrier etc, but based on your experience for general p&c - what is the contact to appointment to app ratio? For example - 100 contacts to get to 15 appts to generate 10 policy apps? Just trying to get a ballpark here.

This is not the easy business so many think it is. You're selling words on paper. That's not as easy as it sounds. Most people gain experience selling things, here we're selling promises to pay. Not that easy.

Success will depend on how you prospect and what debt you have coming in and income you need to cover. All that knowing you're paid last, sometimes 90 days after closing. "commission cycles" a word that means you should have been paid today, but it will be another 4 weeks till the next commission cycle.

It can be tremendously tiring without doing physical work. I'm about 30 years in and went independent 20 years ago. Would I do it again? yea, I would. warts and all, it's a great business.

Insurance sales is a long game, not get rich quick. The rewards for surviving can be exceptional in many ways beyond counting shekels.

Count on 3 - 5 years of grinding it out before considering yourself a winner.

If it were easy there would be a lot more folks in this business . . . making a lot less money.

When I worked at a captive agency (multi line); a senior agent and I were talking at a district meeting and new agent came by to introduce himself. The senior agent said "great to meet you, but honestly I will remember your name when you have been here 5 years..." Arrogant/rude, absolutely, but his point was that new agents come and go with that company.

A reality of this industry.

From my personal experience and from what I have witness, the 93% is true. At least in my experience anyway. From what I have seen in the offices that I have worked in over the years. It has and always been brutal.

I see waves on top of waves of new recruits and most of them never made it. And sometimes, after 10 waves of recruits, only 1 survives. Some offices, despite the attempt to recruit new blood, 5 years has gone by, just the same old farts that has always been there. Absolutely no new blood survived.

I came from killing it in car sales, this is an actual business I've been with almost all the IMO's on the forum and only 1 has actual "training". The reason so many fail is plentiful, not willing to invest,not being able to sell, not enough capital to work with, not enough training, etc.

93% sounds about right.

On the one hand, it really put my through the ringer getting set in the business, and that wasn't fun.

However, if the road to success wasn't so difficult, then I'd have to share the spoils with a lot more people, and there would be a smaller share for me, so I'm happy with the result.

Back