Is there a time limit of when to file a claim after an accident

Troubled Mom
I worked for a large captive agency and saw first hand that claims can be paid out on accidents from long ago. My client had a pickup and we sent an adjuster. The adjuster wrote many claims from that one vehicle in an effort to settle all damages. A dent here and a dent there which were not connected resulted in at least 1/2 dozen claim settlements, each carrying its own deductible. Continue to repair your vehicle out of pocket. Even if you file a claim that is covered you could be faced with the deductible on your policy and your receipts could possibly not count towards your claim.

My client had a pickup and we sent an adjuster. The adjuster wrote many claims from that one vehicle in an effort to settle all damages. A dent here and a dent there which were not connected resulted in at least 1/2 dozen claim settlements

What year was that? And how did it impact his claims record?

That is kind of my point. The courts & the state insurance dept will treat you as an agent for the carrier, not the consumer. Saying the opposite & advertising it merely exposes you to greater legal liability & E&O exposure

Has to be a way to clearly stare you represent many carriers to offer a full range of options, coverages, prices without faking giving the impression you represent the client. In real world, most independent PC agents place the majority of their premium with a limited number of carriers to maximize compensation, contingency bonuss & ease of doing business with fewer carriers. Nothing wrong with that, but important to use proper terminology for compliance & legal reasons

I see the point that you're making, but I don't think you're entirely correct. It's not that black and white and it's highly dependent on the circumstances when something is brought to court.

There's been plenty of case law and debate in the legal community whether an independent agent represents their client or the insurance company. I think it is a mixture of both.

Also, you have E&O exposure no matter what you say or do in this industry. You can do and say everything correctly to what you believe to be right on ethical, moral and legal grounds and you could still have a judgement against you causing an E&O claim.

In everything I do, I ask myself, could I stand in front of a judge or jury and justify my decision? If my answer is no, then I don't do it.

I have no issues saying that I represent my customers, because at the end of the day I see a great amount of truth in that. My customers aren't the ones talking to the insurance carrier or applying directly for coverage, I am.

To circle back to the original point of this thread, if troubledmom was my customer, and she called me for advice on this situation, I would feel comfortable giving it to her without conference calling her in with the insurance carriers claim department.

Always possible I could make the wrong judgement and have an E&O claim, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

What year was that? And how did it impact his claims record?
About 2018 (?). Their policy could not be canceled unless they stopped paying and their premium took a huge hit. They would make a homeowners claim every year and then botched about increases. I think we were able to lose the HO policy with an inspection and non renewal for unacceptable issues.

Back