Just Got Rejected To Sell For Secure Horizons

Federal Student Loans are generally not dischargeable.

True statement, except for hardship... which means:

(Per the Ninth Circuit Court)

that you cannot maintain, based on current income and expenses, a 'minimal' standard of living for yourself and your dependents if forced to repay the loans;

...and that you have made a good effort to pay the loan(s).

Hard to prove and not going to avail itself to many folks, but it is possible to discharge a student loan in Bk.

True statement, except for hardship... which means:

(Per the Ninth Circuit Court)

that you cannot maintain, based on current income and expenses, a 'minimal' standard of living for yourself and your dependents if forced to repay the loans;

...and that you have made a good effort to pay the loan(s).

Hard to prove and not going to avail itself to many folks, but it is possible to discharge a student loan in Bk.

But do Circuit Court rulings apply beyond their circuit? I do not believe so.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In other words, I am not certain that the other jurisdictions would apply the doctrine of stare decisis.

Last edited:
But do Circuit Court rulings apply beyond their circuit? I do not believe so.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In other words, I am not certain that the other jurisdictions would apply the doctrine of stare decisis.

A Circit Court is a US Federal Court and rulings in a US District Circuit Court are binding only on the states in that district. For example the 9th district, who made the ruling mentioned, covers 9 western states, Guam and some pacific islands under US law. However, such a ruling does establish a precedent and would likely carry some hefty weight in other districts unless another fed'l court might rule to the contrary. Often such decisions out of district are mentioned as precedent setting rulings, even though they are not directly legally binding.

Ninth District Court

I think the other districts apply the principle that I used often while in school; "Stare out the Window"

A Circit Court is a US Federal Court and rulings in a US District Circuit Court are binding only on the states in that district. For example the 9th district, who made the ruling mentioned, covers 9 western states, Guam and some pacific islands under US law. However, such a ruling does establish a precedent and would likely carry some hefty weight in other districts unless another fed'l court might rule to the contrary. Often such decisions out of district are mentioned as precedent setting rulings, even though they are not directly legally binding.

Ninth District Court

I think the other districts apply the principle that I used often while in school; "Stare out the Window"

Thank you for the confirmation of my belief regarding the application of a U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rulings. BTW, I am aware that the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals is part of the Federal judiciary system just as is the Third Circuit where I live. I attended law school eons ago.

Thank you for the confirmation of my belief regarding the application of a U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rulings. BTW, I am aware that the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals is part of the Federal judiciary system just as is the Third Circuit where I live. I attended law school eons ago.

No slight to you Arnguy... I would assume that anyone using the term "stare decisis" would know that the Ninth is a Fed'l court. I merely threw that in for others that hadn't been the law school route. And btw, that would include me... I obtained my legal education at Sidewalk U.

Okay, SN, I took it personally as your being condescending toward me. Sorry about that----my bad. It is easy to misinterpret messages that are written and are not vocal.

BTW, I do admire your legal and tax knowledge and well written posts. Maybe that was a Master's degree from Sidewalk U.?:)

Okay, SN, I took it personally as your being condescending toward me. Sorry about that----my bad. It is easy to misinterpret messages that are written and are not vocal.

BTW, I do admire your legal and tax knowledge and well written posts. Maybe that was a Master's degree from Sidewalk U.?:)

Thanks for the kind words Arnguy...

You can count on me NOT disrespecting you Arnguy... Not really my style. But I agree, it is sometimes hard to tell with the written word, especially when at times one is attempting humor, and it just doesn't transcend. I occassionally have that issue.

I can clearly see that "you have been there, and done that" in the ins game. I have enjoyed and learned from your posts many times.

Hello Again To All,

I just found out today I was declined from selling for Secure Horizons/AARP. I'm sure it might be due to credit rating. If anyone on here knows of some companies that will take me in and is not so harsh about credit rating, please get back with me. I am licensed in life & health. I am currently already contracted with United Home Life Insurance Company & Forethought Life but all they offer is life insurance products. I would like to broaden out with more insurance products, especially health products. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could and would assist me with this matter, if possible. Thank you!

What specific products do you wish to market?

Back