Leaving Voicemails

midwestbroker

Guru
1000 Post Club
Columbia, MO
I know we are ramping up for AEP, I thought I would share my latest blog on leaving voicemails since I am sure we will be leaving some this AEP.

This is posted on SIMA, which you do have to join to see it, but membership is FREE! But, to keep this from being a SIMA plug, I posted the entire blog.

Enjoy!

Leaving a voicemail has always been split in the agent community. Some agents are against it. Others are all for it.

Regardless of what position you take, voicemails have changed with the smartphone.

In the past, you would have to listen to your voicemail, or at least begin to play it before you could skip over, delete or save the message. If your message was the third one in their voicemail box, then they would have to scroll through the first two messages one by one to get to yours. Sure, you could skip over the message, but at least the beginning of the message to play before you could skip.

However, now many people use “visual voicemail” which lays out the voicemails like email. No longer do you have to listen to previous messages to get to a certain message, and no longer is it a guess who the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. message is from. Deleting a message without listening to it has also become as easy as deleting an email. With a simple touch of the screen, your well-crafted message is gone.

Now, I understand that not everyone uses a smart phone, but their popularity has been on the rise, and seniors are adopting technology with less resistance.

So, back to the original idea of leaving a voicemail; with the ease of use on the user end of deleting or listening, I am all for leaving a voicemail.

I have always left simple messages. My sample voicemail goes like:

Mr. Smith, this is Mike. I am just following up on the information you sent in. Please give me a call @ xxx-xxxx. If I do not hear from you by X (date), I will call again. Thanks.

Or if I have already met with the prospect (in this case, the factitious Mr. Smith), I just change a couple words:

Mr. Smith, this is Mike. I am just following up to make sure all your questions are answered. You can reach me @ xxx-xxxx. I will follow up with you next week as well. Thanks.

The important thing in both messages is that I give a time I will be calling back, so Mr. Smith knows he can delete my calls, but I am going to follow through until I hear back from him in either him calling me back, or answering the phone when I call. I do not leave specific times, but I let the prospect know I will be calling back. The newer the lead, the more specific I will be. I try and call 2-3 times per week the first two weeks, then drop it down to once per week after.

Usually, the first two weeks of following up by voicemail, I will leave a date and AM or PM of when I will be calling, example Thursday afternoon. After two weeks, I will usually just let them know I will be calling back the following week.

If I have no success after 4 weeks, then I leave a departing message such as:

Mr Smith, this is Mike. I hope this message finds you well. I know we are having a hard time connecting, so here is my number if you have questions in the future, xxx-xxxx. I will follow up in a few months just to check in. Thanks.

Then just follow up in about 3-4 months. Make sure you actually follow up!

Is this too pushy? I would say this is persistent. Persistence is one of the traits of a great sales person. Not, pushy, but persistence. The fact that you are informing your client or prospect of when you will be calling again takes the “pushiness” out of the equation. I have been actually thanked by clients for continuing to call, and I have had prospects that have asked me not to call back, but very rarely did I upset anyone by calling in this manor.

Leave a voicemail. Just make sure you are laying out your plan with the prospect so they can either jump on board with you, or jump off. If your prospect knows what to expect, they are more likely to be polite and remember that you were professional, not pesky.

No, it's not too pushy. I do just about the same thing. I know I hate it when I can't get to my phone fast enough when it rings and no one leaves a message. With caller ID I think most see it's from ABC company and don't call back, but by leaving a message it at least shows some concern.

I call once. Leave a simple message thanking them for their interest. I offer to answer any questions and assist in any way I can.

That's it.

If they want my help they call back (and often they do), if they don't I never hear from them again and I move on.

I treat prospects the way I would want to be treated. If you call half a dozen times all it does is piss me off. If I wanted to talk to you I would have called back.

There is a Celtic rep in this area that calls about every 3 weeks just like clockwork. Always the same message.

I have yet to call him back.

You would think he would have caught on by now.

Apparently not.

I agree. You have to get an idea from your prospect if calling them is going to upset them. I use my plan as a base, but like anything, I adjust it depending on the prospect.

If they tell me they want to call me back, I obviously do not call them first.

As the cheesy saying goes, different strokes for different folks.

My approach is a little more direct. I commit to calling each lead 5X. I leave a message on the first call that is pretty direct. I say something to the tune of "call me back if you are still interested, I just have a couple questions to see which insurance plans you qualify for..."

If they call back, the closing ratio is pretty close to 100%. I'm only interested in dealing with serious buyers...

Often times when I call the second or third time, if they pick up, its because they recognize the name and number from the caller ID because of the message I left the first time. At that point they already know what the call is about and are ready to get to business.

If I don't get a hold of them after the third time, chances are, I won't ever get a hold of them. I leave another very upfront message the 5 time around.

I am very very direct, i tell you exactly why i'm calling and I ask that you call me back weather you are interested or not in setting an appointment so I can close out your lead and stop bothering you, they always call me back at that point and lots of times i get the "we already took care of that" I then say, ok who did you go with so i can mark it down, oh Humana? well just an fyi we have a lower out of pocket, THE DOOR IS NOW OPEN FOR THE APPT. works every time.

Back