Lewy Body Dementia and Medicare

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
"I’m simply a daughter who cares about her parents. And I’m a citizen looking around at our irrational health care system and feeling helpless, enraged and scared."

“If your parents were poor, I would say don’t worry about this. And if your parents had 2 to 3 million in their IRA accounts, I would say don’t worry about this. But your parents are middle-class, and in this case, that’s a problem.”

“We don’t consider dementia a medical issue,” a Medicare rep told me, to my great disbelief. But my dad’s brain — which can no longer translate commands to his muscles — is not working properly, which certainly seems like a medical issue

Here are some suggestions for how we might begin to talk about this crisis.

First, neurologists should mention financial planning at the onset of disease — especially when dementia can hit people in their 50s, 60s and 70s. My father saw two doctors, and neither mentioned long-term care or offered the help of a social worker. When I asked the second doctor about the prognosis, he brushed me off, saying, “My advice is to go home and live each day. Your father seems like a happy guy.” When I later asked about home care, he told me to “Google Visiting Angels.”

[EXTERNAL LINK] - My Dad Was Diagnosed With Dementia. Medicare's 7-Word Response Baffled Me.

well....you are obviously supposed to look into LTC before you get the a diagnosis that will knock you out of contention. Also, many carriers will decline a perfectly healthy person if both mom and dad, or a parent + siblling were ever diagnosed with Alzheimers or Dementia. Genes count.

Medicare covers treatments for Alz and dementia, it just does not cover custodial hand holding, or room and board charges. Medicaid YES, Medicare NO.

If a couple hundred $ a month for some amount of LTC coverage is considered outrageous, then I'd say you have larger financial problems to deal with.

Any financial advisor worth their salt will discuss risk management...and the largest potential financial risk in ones golden years is very often needing LTC services.

well....you are obviously supposed to look into LTC before you get the a diagnosis that will knock you out of contention.

Yeah, when I saw that I knew it was an emotional reaction and not well thought out. True, this is a sad situation but I don't see how blaming "da government" will help.

BTW, I read something earlier today that the Federal Long Term Insurance program for federal employees is anticipating an 86% rate increase in 2024.

OUCH!!!

Medicare covers treatments for Alz and dementia,

Doesn't that come with a caveat that it will only be covered as long as the treatment indicates improvement in the underlying condition?

Yeah, when I saw that I knew it was an emotional reaction and not well thought out. True, this is a sad situation but I don't see how blaming "da government" will help.

BTW, I read something earlier today that the Federal Long Term Insurance program for federal employees is anticipating an 86% rate increase in 2024.

OUCH!!!

Doesn't that come with a caveat that it will only be covered as long as the treatment indicates improvement in the underlying condition?
I was referring mainly to meds to treat...as Alz and Dementia is not a condition that can generally improve....hence short term rehab following a 3 day stay in a hospital would not apply.

If the government is not hell bent on bankrupting this country in general, all the baby boomers hitting at the same time with Alz and dementia will

The Federal LTC program was grossly underpriced to start with, and now you have Blue States looking into mandatory taxation for some paultry amount of LTC coverage. Does the term "Class Act" ring any bells?

Back