Why Medicare Advantage is lacking on cancer care

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/pa...L-FierceHealthcare&oly_enc_id=4902E6421778H3I

Patients enrolled in traditional Medicare were more likely to be treated at a teaching hospital (23% compared to 8%). Medicare beneficiaries were also more likely than MA members to visit hospitals with a higher medium number of total beds, ICU beds, annual inpatient surgical volume and operating rooms.

In addition, the analysis found that MA members faced a delay of two weeks or more between diagnosis and their first course of therapy. The City of Hope researchers suspect this is related to the greater prior authorization required in MA.

Curated from linked article above . . .

Given the competition in the Medicare Advantage (MA) market, insurers are devising plenty of ways to stand out in the crowd, ranging from grocery benefits to enhanced dental coverage.

But one area that's still lacking in many ways is in cancer coverage.

Pretty much says it all . . . design plans that are easy to sell in hopes the renter won't bother to ask about the details of the underlying health care coverage . . .

Curated from linked article above . . .

Given the competition in the Medicare Advantage (MA) market, insurers are devising plenty of ways to stand out in the crowd, ranging from grocery benefits to enhanced dental coverage.

But one area that's still lacking in many ways is in cancer coverage.

Pretty much says it all . . . design plans that are easy to sell in hopes the renter won't bother to ask about the details of the underlying health care coverage . . .

Yes. That’s something I can’t stand about Advantage plans. I mean, if the member is paying a $300 co-pay for an MRI, what is Humana paying towards it???? I know it’s a lot less than $300. I feel like it should be a rule that the plan pay MORE than the member!!
I’ve seen the EOB’s. It’s outrageous that the member pays more than the insurance plan.

Back