Life Insurance After Divorce

Common sense tells you to review beneficiaries on all financial related accounts, and make sure everything is set up correctly. But like what others have said, many fail to do this

So because many fail the state finds it needs to step in? I can not tell you how many times I have done a review with a client after a divorce got the beneficiary changes done on my policies and then sent them the forms to update thier state benefits (teachers) I even prefilled the forms so they only require the employee to sign and turn in only to find the form was not sent in during the next review. At that point I will have them sign thier file that we discussed needed changes and that I provided the required forms and that it is the employees responsibility to turn in the forms.

I have not had a death claim in one of these situations yet but I do my best not to lose off the client and shame them into action now if this law takes hold in Maine I would need to have a client file a beneficiary change form renaming the beneficiary because some people are to lazy or stupid to take care of thier business.

200 characters required now???
Just happened to see this today on Prudential's site.

Attachments

• Beneficiary Designations in Divorce.pdf
    360.9 KB · Views: 10
200 characters required now???

Thanks for posting this. The divorce decree requiring that the life insurance stay in force and the bene remains as the ex-spouse is immediately what I thought of when I saw this the first time...

Sounds like a real mess. If anyone finds a complete list of states that do this, please post it.

So because many fail the state finds it needs to step in? I can not tell you how many times I have done a review with a client after a divorce got the beneficiary changes done on my policies and then sent them the forms to update thier state benefits (teachers) I even prefilled the forms so they only require the employee to sign and turn in only to find the form was not sent in during the next review. At that point I will have them sign thier file that we discussed needed changes and that I provided the required forms and that it is the employees responsibility to turn in the forms.

I have not had a death claim in one of these situations yet but I do my best not to lose off the client and shame them into action now if this law takes hold in Maine I would need to have a client file a beneficiary change form renaming the beneficiary because some people are to lazy or stupid to take care of thier business.

I never said the state, or any regulatory body should step in. Was just making a statement. Please show me where I mentioned the state should intervene

Back