Life or PC? Prior PL Underwriter

Lex888

I was a Personal Lines Underwriter (home, auto, liability) for 7 years --10 yrs overall in insurance. Recently started considering getting my license to sell.

I'm hung up on P&C vs Life & Health. Im not sure which route to take in terms of best fit . I loved helping others as a UW - making sure right coverages were in place and premium affordable. However i loathed dealing with renewal increases and trying to explain the whys behind it and the frustration from customers. Is life less customer service based? Is life lucative with state of healthcare right now?

Thanks.

No one ever tells someone that there is a requirement for Life Insurance so I would say that it can be a tougher sale but the commission is much better and the customer service work is either at the end of the term or the end of life. P&C can be an adversarial relationship to begin with because the customer MUST carry home and auto, worries about rate increases, does not understand the Claims process, but wants to trust you for however long they are your client. Commissions are okay based on the amount of time that the customer is with you and P&C policies can lead to Life Policies

Life Insurance can be an extremely tough sale if you do not have a good marketing in place to generate constant interests. With that said, Life Insurance have very little CS after the sale is done. CS on P&C can drive you crazy, I know. But P&C is so much easier to sell.

Back