Locked Up with Glenn Neasham

Brokers Alliance

Guru
Sponsor
Arizona
Here's the link to the artilce for publishing purposes:

[FONT=Calibri","sans-serif]http://www.producersweb.com/r/BAINC/d/contentFocus/?pcID=02b8ac2a05945696d9fb663bba298992[/FONT]

The big crooks get 4-5 years for their thievery. The same amount of time California prosecutors are throwing at Glenn Neasham.

Over the last six years, I've volunteered in jail, federal and state facilities housing both men and women. I've been on over 40 different yards and have held meetings from minimum security jails to maximum security prisons. I've been accidently caught in lockdown twice, a drug raid by the SWAT team and feared for my life in one of Amnesty International’s worst prisons in the world.

I've interviewed hundreds of former felons on radio and told their stories in a jail house journal. I've counseled hundreds more in “tank orders,” which are one-on-one inmate meetings in a cube the size of a small bathroom.

I've been scammed, spinned, punked and lied to by the best con men and women in the incarcerated community. Only recently have I finally picked up this sixth sense that detention officers have acquired over the years. It’s an intuitive, street smart, extra-sensory perception — some call it spidey sense.

I've learned to trust it. It could mean the difference in getting beat up in prison or worse.

This morning, the detention officers brought 52 country jail inmates into the meeting dressed in pink underwear, socks and t-shirts covered with the old style white and black horizontal striped prison garb. They came to chapel in chains. Fifty-two inmates are the maximum limit security permits, even though we’re in a minimum facility. We’re in one of Maricopa County Jails in Phoenix run by America’s toughest Sheriff, Joe Arpaio.

Most of the attendees are awaiting trial for drugs or criminal gang activity. But there are always a few inmates who just don’t look like they belong. They don’t fit the profile. They’re inmates with conventional haircuts, no tattoos and an MBA vocabulary.

They’re doing time for white collar crime. It’s generally not some nickel and dime misdeed. These are big time gamers of corporate America, absconders — perhaps not at the level of Bernie Madoff, but accounting theft and bank fraud in the millions.

The big crooks get 4-5 years for their thievery. The same amount of jail time California prosecutors are throwing at Glenn Neasham.

When I consider the prosecution’s talking points against Neasham and compare them to the white collar criminals I've met inside, Neasham doesn’t fit the resume of the convicted. Neasham doesn’t even fit the profile. Perhaps the worst scenario should have led to non-binding arbitration or Neasham just falling on his E&O sword.

But I’m not addressing his selling methods, his target market or the products he offers. I am offering my experience with the incarcerated. And that experience leads me to believe that any time served, whether in prison or probation, would be a huge miscarriage of justice against Neasham.

One last thought: Every once in a while, inmates and officers who are keen observers of human behavior make their own judgment call on an inmate. They just don’t buy his guilt. It means nothing outside the walls of prison, but it’s very meaningful inside prison.

Exoneration by fellow inmates is rare and with officers, rarer still. But when it happens, it generally turns out to be true. He’s innocent. I have experienced this gut feeling myself about an inmate and seen it come to fruition on appeal. He’s innocent.

I've spoken to Neasham on the phone and read most of the articles on Neasham. My spidey sense tells me he’s been caught in a political web of grandstanding by people who are using this case as a stepping stone with bigger ambitions. Neasham’s not a criminal, and he just doesn't belong behind bars.

I believe a man's life and livelihood have been destroyed for no valid reason. Those who perpetrated this lynching should be ashamed and removed from office.

Last edited:
I believe the a man's life and livelihood have been destroyed for no valid reason. Those who perpetrated this lynching should be ashamed and removed from office.

I agree 100%. This case has had me think about the risk we take in doing a service for our clients. From what I have read, he completed extensive suitability, met with the clients son and CPA, and advised her to leave $100k+ in her bank for liquidity. I do a fair amount of annuity biz, and I hope that this case doesn't set a legal precedence that will possibly destroy the lives of other agents/advisors.

In a case like this, industry leaders should stand up for the agent, whether it be helping with defense costs, or political lobbying to stop the witch hunt. The sad thing is even if he does get the judgement overturned, and gets financially reimbursed for his costs, he will never get his reputation cleared for his career.

Whatever discernment I’ve acquired over the years in my experiences in jail and prison, one insight surfaces above all other gut feelings. And that is the gut feeling of someone’s “intent.” I’ve learned to ride the wave of emotion, to rise above the fray on the crest of feelings so raw that the soul exposes itself for what it is and the intent behind its actions. (By the way, the best closers in the business have this keen awareness I’m alluding to.) This is the bottom line with Glenn Nesham. It is the issue of intent. And in my opinion this issue is sorely lacking in his case.

Come on, fellas! Do you really feel that Neasham had white gloves on with the Schuber case? I'm not saying that he deserves jail time for the sale to Fran, but you need to know more about people before you publicly support them. Read my latest article at Producers Web to get additional facts that may affect your support of this particular individual. :skeptical:

After thirty years in the business, I’m so appreciative that my U4 is clean and that I’ve had no client complaints on my non FINRA insurance sales. I‘ve had long and meaningful conversations with industry stars and veterans with long standing, proven practices with impeccable records. But I’ve not meet one, who has had some regret on a sale or two in their career, me included. But whatever those regrets are, they are not on the basis on malicious intent to steal or defraud. I do not have white gloves, but I also don’t have hand cuffs.

We all appear to have common ground on one issue regarding Glenn…he shouldn’t do jail time. I’ve heard of mitigating issues in this case that give me pause to be sure, but so far that’s in the court of public option. If this case were not in California or Florida, the odds are high it would have landed in arbitration, where it belongs. But both states have tough elder laws on the books, punitive laws on senior predators. Laws that were crafted in response to the cruelty of unethical and heartless salespeople masquerading as concerned fiduciaries. Grandparent predators should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and do time, serious time.

I’m not naïve to believe that mistakes may have been made; Glenn is human as am I. But I’m willing to wait on the appellant court decision and until such time to give Glenn the benefit of the doubt, something I’d want for myself. My cursory observation is that if Glenn has a reputable attorney, he will be acquitted. Why? There’s no intent to harm. Glenn could be inept, but malicious intent...no. One last thought here: On the other hand, if Glenn has been terminated by other carriers for consumer complaints or suitability issues, then those mitigating facts become part of a pattern of behavior that can tilt the appeals proceedings as well as the court of public opinion. Lack of intent can be circumvented by patterns of inappropriate sales, activity enough to be terminated by carriers…activity enough to be found guilty. I addressed issue with Paul Cross a couple of weeks ago.

My final word: I recently read industry patriarch Joe Belth’s article on Glenn in his popular newsletter. I’ve been reading Professor Belth’s newsletters for over twenty years and he is, without question, one of the great watchdog authorities in the insurance field during my lifetime. I’ve also read most every article written on Glenn by Sheryl Moore one of the established stars of the next generation of product experts and a dear friend of mine. Our firm purchases her index life and annuity surveillance software. It’s just the best. Whatever these two write I read. There words carry weight with me and thousands of others. Their read on Glenn’s case gives me pause to be sure. But I’m willing to wait. I have to wait. I can take no other course of action that I wouldn’t want applied to myself. So I wait.

Back