Looking to go Independent

insurancegal

Hi everyone! I have about 10 years P&C experience working on both the retail and wholesale side of the industry. I am now thinking about starting my own agency. Although I do have experience I don't know if this would be a good idea and also what it would cost me? I am employed now but this has always been my dream...I've just been too afraid to make that jump. Any suggestions???

If you do not need the training then I would go independent. The last career place I worked the guy that ran the office was a moron. He would always threaten the agents with thier job and renewals. He is actually still talking crap behind my back because I left him and have better contracts than he can get now. THe guy promised leads and only delievered few times. That place was more of a soap opera than insurance office. He only cared to line his pockets and if he didn't hit his quota for the month he would call crying saying he wouldn't get his money.

Moral of the story, watch who you contract with because you could have to put up with more than you should. What comes around goes around.

Thanks for the info. I already know I don't want to work for anyone. I too have worked for several morons and that is why I am now looking more than ever at opening my own agency. It just scares me because I have always had a salary and going 100% commission would definitely be an adjustment. :elvis:

Its funny you keep reading my posts. Funny how I know more than you do also. Maybe you will learn your lesson maybe not. I am very satisfied though. Too bad you will never know what I know. Its too bad I know everything you do. Its not too hard to figure out. Don't try to use me to get higher contracts moron. I was laughing when I got to keep those. LMAO!!!

Last edited:
Its funny you keep reading my posts. Funny how I know more than you do also. Maybe you will learn your lesson maybe not. I am very satisfied though. Too bad you will never know what I know. Its too bad I know everything you do. Its not too hard to figure out. Don't try to use me to get higher contracts moron. I was rolling when I got to keep those. LMAO!!!
I think I speak for must of us on the forum when I say, "Huh?"

Rick

And others would advise having 3-6 months of MONEY in the bank to pay bills.;)

Rick

It all depends. Start writting what the business would cost you to run every month along with your personal bills (mortgage/rent, utilities, food, etc...). This way would be able to give you an estimate on how much you really need (mainly 1 year on average).

p.s. Greensky, i used to work in Encino

Back