Looking to start career in insurance, looking for advice

Apr 4, 2019

1. vic120

vic120 Guru

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree I think though when people talk about experience as captive to start probably more for those without any sales experience

The rest is over rated

vic120, Apr 7, 2019
  2. Rob Lion

Rob Lion Guru

State:
    Alaska
    Having to unlearn everything to relearn it is way harder than just learning it the right way the first time lol.

3. Mike007

Mike007 Expert

State:
    California
    What am I off based on? As far as I'm concerned, running a captive agency and independent agency is very similar, very little differences between them. In fact, the transition can easily be done due to how similar both operations are.

I have been both a captive and independent agent in my career for Life, Auto, and Home. As far as operating an agency goes, it is very similar. If anyone has run a captive agency, they can easily take that same skill and transfer it to an independent agency without much sweat. The difference operating a captive agency and Independent agency is minimal based on my experience. The majority of the work is still the same. Prospect, Sell, Customer Service. Rinse and Repeat.

As I said, the only thing I had to know more as an independent agent was more underwriting because I have more insurance companies to place and so I had to make sure I placed my clients with the right company that will accept certain risks.

Mike007, Apr 7, 2019
  4. goillini52

goillini52 MAGA...Eat More Bacon & BUILD THAT WALL!!!

State:
    Illinois
    I already posted my response to this in Post #9, when responding to BADTROUT...who agrees with you.

5. Matthew Campbell

Matthew Campbell New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the information! How would you say commissions compared between the two?

6. BADTROUT

BADTROUT Guru

State:
    Colorado
    Varies greatly... if you are talking ownership in the agency hands down indy with contingencies I make between 12% and 20% on captive 8% to 12% but I'm sure there must be bonuses. In reality its comparable so you look at exit strategy... in the end theres a clear choice.

Anyone th as t would tell you commission on the captive side is better doesnt understand as nd that your closing ratio is far more important to commission rate. Acquiring business and retaining is easier when you have options.

Additionally on the other lines like life insurance you can expect 40 to 60% on the captive side vs 65 to 115% or better on the indy side.