MA plans for 2009

I've been told that SNP plans have been frozen. No more new plans until 2010.

Rick
Yes, the moratorium is true. Not only are SNP carriers forbidden to expand their service areas, but they can't change the benefits of the plans they already have. IOW, they can't add more chronic illnesses. This is ridiculous! I can see restricting the area to that already served, but to restrict carriers from increasing the level of benefits is not in favor of the beneficiaries, (IMHO).

I carry SNPs with 2, 4, and 8 chronic illnesses. The one with 8 illnesses is not price competitive with the one with 2, and the one with 4 is over-priced against the others! I hope they at least allow some premium adjustments.

BTW: Shouldn't this thread be in the Seniors group?

Last edited:
I would like to start doing seminars for senior products this year. I want to come in as a broker, in other words, I want to inform clients about what exactly Medicare is, Explain MA's and how to shop them, explain Med Sups, explain PDP's and how to shop them. My understanding is that as long as I don't mention specific companies and their products, and not talk directly about that companies benefits, then I do not have to get a script approved by CMS. I do have to inform CMS that I am doing a seminar. How about power point displays. Can I show generic Medicare coverage on a pp. What can I show as a slide. Who in the heck do I talk to at CMS and how do I get a hold of them? All help appreciated. after my presentation and a Q&A, I would ask seniors to sign up for a separate consultation to review their coverage. If they are in good shape, then I tell them to stay (gets referrals), if they want to make a switch, I have all the major carriers to choose from.

Jerry,

First off, DON'T CALL CMS. They are your enemy.

You are correct: As long as you don't get company or product specific, you can call it an Informational Meeting about Medicare. Have a sign in sheet as people walk in. Tell them (which is not a lie) that the Library, Meeting Room, etc. requires you to have it, as a measure of attendence.

Don't do PowerPoint. These people don't want pretty pictures, they want information. Use a whiteboard or a flip chart. Repeat information over and over. If you want to make handouts, copy pages from the Medicare and You book.

Have your cards at each chair.

You will mostly get people who are near the Medicare Age, or friends and family of those who are, who are coming on their behalf. That's great! It's what you want.

This, in addition to getting referrals from my parents, is the only way I prospect for Medicare Supp or Medicare Advantage leads.

I would recommend contacting local libraries and YMCA's in your area. That's where these people go.

Good Luck.

Bob Levine

I would like to start doing seminars for senior products this year. I want to come in as a broker, in other words, I want to inform clients about what exactly Medicare is, Explain MA's and how to shop them, explain Med Sups, explain PDP's and how to shop them. My understanding is that as long as I don't mention specific companies and their products, and not talk directly about that companies benefits, then I do not have to get a script approved by CMS. I do have to inform CMS that I am doing a seminar. How about power point displays. Can I show generic Medicare coverage on a pp. What can I show as a slide. Who in the heck do I talk to at CMS and how do I get a hold of them? All help appreciated. after my presentation and a Q&A, I would ask seniors to sign up for a separate consultation to review their coverage. If they are in good shape, then I tell them to stay (gets referrals), if they want to make a switch, I have all the major carriers to choose from.

Bob's advice is good, and I am not refuting it, but to answer your question about sources for PPTs, CMS has some you can download from their website, as do many carriers. I find that the shorter your PPT, the better. Unfortunately, CMS wants so much info diseminated that their PPT is over an hour long unless you speed through it. Seniors don't like fast talking salesmen, and the simpler the better. I stopped using PPTs and just use a whiteboard.

You are right in the groove with educational "seminars". Keep it generic and CMS will have no grounds to complain. If you do a good job, seniors will come to you later. That certainly beats trying to chase them down and pressing them for a decision. Let them come to you.

Bob makes a great point when selling to seniors or anyone for that matter. Don't just start whipping out different policies or plans.

With Medicare, I think it is a bit easier. Page 31 in the Medicare and You Book 2008 lays it out. You have 2 options: Medigap or MA.

Go over the differences, see which one they want. If they say Medigap, then give them a few quotes. If they say MA, then show them some options. Let them choose and then ask if they want to enroll.

I have found that most seniors have some idea of what they want, usually from talking to friends and family who already have Medicare.

This can be as hard or as easy as you make it.

Go over the differences, see which one they want. If they say Medigap, then give them a few quotes. If they say MA, then show them some options. Let them choose and then ask if they want to enroll.
But here's the problem with that. CMS says we can only talk about one product per visit. So if you give them Med Supp quotes, you are not allowed to talk about MA plans.

It's a stupid rule and you can't do your fiduciary duty to serve your client if you follow it. Just as you can't recommend a PDP plan until you know medication - but to ask for this is in violation of CMS rules.

It's getting to the point where if you say anything other than "What's that I smell?" you are violating some sort of regulation.

Rick

Thanks for the great advice. I already have some great contacts at about 5 retirement communities. All self sefficiant. One of the guys that works with me is a pastor and has a lot of contacts with churches, and another one of my guys girlfriend works for a home care outfit that does seminars and might be willing to double up. I'm not looking to sell anything at the time since this will be well b4 the Medicare season. I figure to get some age ins and such. I'm trying to set up as big a contact list as possible before Nov. 15th and do follow up letters or calls from the time we meet, until Nov. to keep us fresh in their minds. I ask people if they would like to be able to throw out that stack of crap that they collect every fall. Guess what they say. I tell them that chances are any of the stuff they receive, I'll be selling, so go ahead and toss it. If they see something that really intrigues them, then hold onto it and we'll talk about it. I'll stick to the white board. Seems safer and a lot less hassle. People call me all the time and ask for quotes on Med Sups and MA info. Are you telling me that I'm not allowed to give them both? That's crazy. As far as PDP plans go, I ask the customer if they would like me to use the Medicare site and find out which plan is best for them. I do this after we talk about their health coverage. If they tell me that they want me to, I then ask them for a list of their meds,mg, and how often. I then give them print outs of the website listing. I then tell them which of the top five companies I work with, and they usually tell me to sign them up on one. Am I breaking the rules?? Usually the customer has volunteered their Rx info way before I ask them if I need to shop it.

People call me all the time and ask for quotes on Med Sups and MA info. Are you telling me that I'm not allowed to give them both? That's crazy.
It may be crazy, but you can't discuss MA plans without giving them a complete presentation. They must have a copy of all the paperwork, brochures, etc. at the time of presentation.

I'm not saying it makes complete sense or if everyone does this (including me), but it is the only way its allowed.

As far as PDP plans go, I ask the customer if they would like me to use the Medicare site and find out which plan is best for them. I do this after we talk about their health coverage. If they tell me that they want me to, I then ask them for a list of their meds,mg, and how often. I then give them print outs of the website listing. I then tell them which of the top five companies I work with, and they usually tell me to sign them up on one. Am I breaking the rules?? Usually the customer has volunteered their Rx info way before I ask them if I need to shop it.
You are absolutely not allowed to ask for Rx information because it is deemed to be cherry picking. But unless you do, how can you provide correct information?

CMS makes their rules to avoid fraud, scams, etc. but in reality many of them handcuff us from helping them.

Rick

I guess I'll just switch to" Sorry Mam, CMS rules state that I can't ask you your medications. I can only record that information if you volunteer it'. Will that work???

I believe I can answer questions that they ask about MA's and I can discuss pluses and minuses of MA's and Med sups, and I can tell them what to look for in a MA. I believe I can do all this as long as I don't mention specific companies or benefits. Please let me know if I'm wrong, because like I said B4, I ain't no "Super Genius"

Back