• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Maine woman files class-action lawsuit against Cigna for denying coverage of weight-loss medication

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania

Insurance coverage of the increasingly popular weight loss drugs and the rapidly rising costs have been a concern in the insurance industry and among employers, which determine what coverage to include in the plans offered to their workers. The new federal lawsuit focuses on the insurance carrier, arguing it cannot legally offer plans that discriminate.

I already knew it was going to be Ozempic before I even opened the article. I'd rather be fat than have that shit in my system, it basically eats away all of your muscle mass.

Also “This type of discrimination is not new; rather, it follows from a long history of prejudice, exclusion and stigmatization of people with disabilities in general and of people diagnosed with obesity, in particular,” - lul

The obesity epidemic really has come to fruition.

On a side note, did you hear that the guy from Supersize me was actually an alcoholic and it's likely his symptoms in the documentary weren't from eating McDonalds?

The obesity epidemic really has come to fruition.

On a side note, did you hear that the guy from Supersize me was actually an alcoholic and it's likely his symptoms in the documentary weren't from eating McDonalds?

Agreed. And I heard about that recently.

Imo, drinking culture is a leading cause of obesity in the country.

And it's not just the empty calories.

The owner of the largest Applebees franchise justified "dollarita" drink specials that lose money ($1 margarita), with this statement: "you cant drink more than 2 dollaritas without ending up ordering a burger and fries"

Agreed. And I heard about that recently.

Imo, drinking culture is a leading cause of obesity in the country.

And it's not just the empty calories.

The owner of the largest Applebees franchise justified "dollarita" drink specials that lose money ($1 margarita), with this statement: "you cant drink more than 2 dollaritas without ending up ordering a burger and fries"
Drinking is the new smoking. It's seen as cool, but is probably just as bad or worse for you (Don't ask me, I'm not a doctor). I did drink a lot of alcohol in my 20's though, so that sort of makes me an expert. On a serious note, no one took concern with it and most of my peers partook in it with me or encouraged it.

Companies these days, IMO, are creating food to be addictive, yes self-control, etc., play into it. It's tricky to battle something designed to deliver certain dopamine hits by mixing fried potatoes and a perfectly counter-balanced sugary soda.

Will he now start complaining about labor shortages because he can't hire high school students any more?

With one company investing $4B to make these drugs in mass, I bet it will be covered soon enough.

Back