Marketing plan for 2008?

A good business plan will answer three questions:

1. Why am I in business
2. What is my business
3. Who is my customer.

Why you are in business will provide the inspiration on Thursday evening at 8 pm when you still don't have any business and need to make one more call.

What is your business will tell you who to market to, providing financial protection to small business owners with products such as health insurance, life insurance and annuities. (example)

Who is your customer will tell you how to target market and what type of leads to buy, if you do, small business owners in a specific county or zip code that have been in business for 1 year or longer with an annual gross revenue of 500k or more and 29 or less employees. (example) Start with your nitch market, what industry did you work in previously, start making a list of all businesses that service that industry, there you will have commonalities to start a conversation with and build your confidence.

Next would be to put together an activity plan that you will work everyday. When do you want to know that your activity is not going to produce results, Thursday at 8pm or Monday at 3 pm? Your activity plan is what YOU are going to do, not someone else, phone calls, walk & talk (collecting business cards from small business), putting out take one boxes etc. Network with center of influence as you work, P&C agents, car dealers (commission salespeople don't have group insurance), etc. Ask for referrals on every call, not "who do you know that is interested in insurance or that I can help", attach a behavior to a request and you'll get a name, "what is the name of the owner next door, what is the name of someone you golf with, just got married, bought a home, enrolled a kid in school, just got married." ect. Buy a profile list and do a direct mail campaign, mix internet leads and telemarket leads. Don't judge them, go to the door and make your pitch in addition to calling. Use Monday to call leads and set your appointments for the week, use all other contact and marketing to fill in as you run your appointments. The mistake most agents make is they "go prospecting", you may consider "prospecting as you go."

Lastly review your results each Wednesday and Friday, if you have the same behavior Thursday and Friday as you did Monday and Tuesday you will have the same result, is that what you want? If you have the same behavior this week as last week you will have the same result, is that what you want, same principle monthly and quartly.

You can't expect what you don't inspect.

Focus on activity and making presentations and the sale will come.

Good luck.

Back