Mass Mutual in-force rate increase pending

May 1, 2018

1. Arthur Rudnick

Arthur Rudnick Moderator Moderator

State:
    New York
    I may be some what off on this, but I don't believe that MM has paid any dividends on their LTC policies for at least 5 years. And, when they did, a policy had to be in-force for a minimum of 5-6 years before dividends were paid.

90%+ of the dividends were paid to their life ins. policyholders.

2. ltcadviser

ltcadviser Guru

Genworth actually has not been too bad considering most of their policies had exceptional benefits and contractual language.

John Hancock, on the other hand, has been brutal to policyholders.

3. ltcadviser

ltcadviser Guru

No MM LTC dividends, Herman.
    Policy has to be in force 10 years before any possibility of dividends, however one should not count on anything with MM LTCi.

4. MJM1987

MJM1987 Expert

State:
    New York
    Reply, dividends are also illustrated in their DI product. Obviously dividends are never guaranteed. Why not leverage the accruing of LTC credits over the life of the contract?

MJM1987, Jul 15, 2018
  5. MJM1987

MJM1987 Expert

State:
    New York
    Don't expect a mutual company to perform well in a rising interest rates environment. Mass Mutual's definitions are liberal and the pay claims. solid company been around for 100 years. That's your selling point.

Dividends are not guaranteed, and mean nothing in my opinion. Maybe they offset premium but so what. Solve the clients need, and the product sells itself.

MJM1987, Jul 15, 2018
  6. wc2624

wc2624 Expert

State:
    Florida
    When general agents could sell Mass Mutual, we were told by a Mass Mutual higher up, not to sell based on the dividends. Our interpretation on that was that the insured should not, by any means, count on dividends applied to LTC policies.

wc2624, Aug 14, 2018