Med Supp Rate Increase | BCBS vs UHC

I tried to get info from a regional director about UHC rate adjustments. Either he did not know or did not want to divulge.

Some states are entry age, some attained age and some are community rated. I believe he said the community rated plans get two adjustments on renewal. One on the plan anniversary, another when all plans get the "community" adjustment.

But that may not be right. I had so much trouble getting a straight answer I stopped pursuing it. Also, they weren't competitive here at that time, and they were the last to offer the G plan and only when the F was longer available.

Last edited:
I tried to get info from a regional director about UHC rate adjustments. Either he did not know or did not want to divulge.

Some states are entry age, some attained age and some are community rated. I believe he said the community rated plans get two adjustments on renewal. One on the plan anniversary, another when all plans get the "community" adjustment.

But that may not be right. I had so much trouble getting a straight answer I stopped pursuing it. Also, they weren't competitive here at that and they were the last to offer the G plan and only when the F was longer available.
Yeah I emailed my local broker rep this AM asking when rate increases come out, do they offer a 1 year rate lock, etc.

Funny how they don’t want to share about a product you are trying to sell for them

Yeah I emailed my local broker rep this AM asking when rate increases come out, do they offer a 1 year rate lock, etc.

Funny how they don’t want to share about a product you are trying to sell for them

For UHC? It’s June for Fl. That’s the answer. They announce it about a month before.

For UHC? It’s June for Fl. That’s the answer. They announce it about a month before.
Any idea on rate lock for new customers? Just trying to find the value to show this guy even though it’s $14 a month more.

But I don’t want to “steer” him either

Any idea on rate lock for new customers? Just trying to find the value to show this guy even though it’s $14 a month more.

But I don’t want to “steer” him either

Uhc does not have rate lock in FL.

Who else are you quoting him? Don’t forget that FL Blue has a big rate increase 1/1.

You can steer whoever you want. It’s sales. Write the company you want to write.
Don’t be an order taker.

When you are selling a product that is exactly like the one everyone else offers, the only real VALUE is what YOU bring to the table.

There is no value in selling a product that is $14 less today than the other product. That savings can easily vanish in a year or two.

But that may not be right. I had so much trouble getting a straight answer I stopped pursuing it. Also, they weren't competitive here at that time, and they were the last to offer the G plan and only when the F was longer available.
Here in MS with UHC (community rated) what you stated is correct - 2x year - anniversary and June.

As an aside the 2x year rate amount increase is then also complicated by their decreasing discounts through age 75. Having a 2x year increase is unfortunate in that they are then reminded 2x of paying more. It is especially acute if the anniversary date and June are close together so their increases are close together. Couple that with the declining discount through age 75 and so on the surface it appears the rate increases are a bit steep - until you remind them that the discounts are declining and the older they get likely they will be paying less than others in non-community rated plans).

Back