Medical Mutual in Ohio Med Supps

Renewal rates are predictable, no major increases, just added plan G to the arsenal.
I put clients with them when they've had Medical Mutual most of their lives and they trust and like the brand, if savings are a big priority we might look at Philadelphia American etc.
Really like plan N in Ohio since there's no excess charges...

Good point on the no part B excess in Ohio.
I'd forgotten that.
I did learn that if an Ohio resident were to get medical treatment outside of Ohio then part B excess would be possible if they had a plan N.
I guess that means they could pay up to 15% more in that case on their part B charges.

Here's a couple a dumb questions.
How do we see their rate change history?
Do we know their AM best rating?

Update -
Spoke to Med Mut rep.
Apparently, they are not rated with Am Best because they are a "Mutual" company vs. a stock company ... Anthem in Ohio has no rating also ...

Last edited:
Medical Mutual for someone turning 65 in Ohio is amazing. $106 premium for Plan G. It is the cheapest Plan G supplement out of any of the companies that I know. In Ohio the am better rating doesn't matter with Medical Mutual. They are so well-known no one's going to question you.

The better question is why would they be competitive? If they have the name/brand recognition they dont need to be competitive. Look at AARP. Overpriced but the largest...

Medical Mutual for someone turning 65 in Ohio is amazing. $106 premium for Plan G. It is the cheapest Plan G supplement out of any of the companies that I know. In Ohio the am better rating doesn't matter with Medical Mutual. They are so well-known no one's going to question you.

Yeah, no...

Their rates are unisex. So - $106 for Plan G is not going to beat Anthem for females who want Plan G + SilverSneakers. Same with Plan N - MMofOH is not good for females...

My perspective...
Medical Mutual of Ohio Pro: They have a consumer facing e-app through the PURL (personal enrollment link), so your client can sign up through your link. That's nice and very easy to use. (I hate Anthem's e-app to the point that I just do a paper app).

Medical Mutual of Ohio Con: They are still a smaller carrier and I use that as a con when running comparisons with clients. No national footprint like the other carriers. Their comp is so low that it hurts a little when someone wants them - in my opinion, they underpay me as the agent - I'll sell it but I prefer to sell a carrier that doesn't chop comp.

I guess if you've convinced yourself that they are really a better deal for the client (I'm not convinced) that it's worth it for you to take a haircut in commissions...

I'm just not convinced that they are that much better that I'm willing to give up that much comp.

(They have great advantage plan options here in the CBus)

Back