• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Medicare Advantage saved Medicare

Do they have any figures when adding part D for those on OM?
Pretty good comparison between PDPs and MAPDs below.

But in a nutshell, a PDP's average monthly premium in 2023 was $40. Considerably less than the $321 we're discussing.

Pretty good comparison between PDPs and MAPDs below.

But in a nutshell, a PDP's average monthly premium in 2023 was $40. Considerably less than the $321 we're discussing.

I mean what are the govt subsidies to PDP plans. Insurance companies aren’t just collecting $40 monthly premiums.

I mean what are the govt subsidies to PDP plans. Insurance companies aren’t just collecting $40 monthly premiums.
Probably be the difference between $40 monthly average and the actual PDP premium the client pays.

Don't know of any companies that are giving away money. Even the free Uber rides. Somebody is paying.

Probably be the difference between $40 monthly average and the actual PDP premium the client pays.

Don't know of any companies that are giving away money. Even the free Uber rides. Somebody is paying.

If I had to guess, insurance companies prob get $150 subsidy each month from the govt to offer their part D drug plan.

If I had to guess, insurance companies prob get $150 subsidy each month from the govt to offer their part D drug plan.
Here's a totally different figure.

For 2024, Medicare’s actuaries estimate that Part D plans will receive direct subsidy payments averaging $383 per enrollee overall, $2,588 for enrollees receiving the LIS, and $1,153 in reinsurance payments for very high-cost enrollees; employers are expected to receive, on average, $591 for retirees in employer-subsidy plans.

It's been many years ago, but I recall hearing $110 per month at a carrier meeting. This was probably somewhere between 2006-2008. My guess is it is definitely higher than that now. Likely the $150 amount you mentioned, or more.

Back