Medicare and Pre-existing Conditions?

brooks

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Medicare and COBRA Trap

I heard this yesterday from a friend of family. Friend was not familiar with the exact details. But, here it goes ...

Friend's sister-in-law turned 65 on 6-5-2011.

Her husband was laid off 3-1-2011. He maintains health insurance for both ... COBRA.

I'm not sure of the exact dates ... but the story goes something like this.

She goes in for a routine colonoscopy on 3-15-2011. Something goes wrong. Doctor punctures colon. Complications arise. She gets very ill and lapses into coma. Comes out of coma but remains under care to this date. She will have continuing problems the rest of her life.

The husband has been trying to get Medicare involved. Medicare refuses. Has something to do with her enrollment in Part B.

I'm thinking they refused Part B. They probably thought COBRA would provide coverage so why also pay for Part B? Might as well save a few bucks.

Sounded strange to me. So I began a little research. Turns out COBRA and Medicare is a problem.

I found this article on AARP's site.

COBRA Bites, Medicare Part B Insurance Coverage Penalty - AARP Bulletin

" ...Under current law, working Americans with employer health coverage can postpone signing up for Medicare until after 65. When they retire, accept a buyout or are laid off, they then get an eight-month special enrollment period to sign up for Medicare Part B (which covers doctors visits and other outpatient services) immediately and without penalty.

But many people in these circumstances are able to extend their employer coverage for a year or two under a 1986 law known as COBRA.

What they may not realize is that waiting until their COBRA coverage expires to enroll in Part B
disqualifies them from the eight-month grace period. Instead, they must wait to sign up during open enrollment, from Jan. 1 to March 31 each year, and their coverage won’t begin until the following July.

They also get hit with a late penalty ....

The COBRA catch

Social Security officials explain that under the law, people can postpone signing up for Part B without penalty only while they have group health insurance provided by an employer for whom they or their spouses are
still working.

Therefore, time on COBRA—used after employment has ended—does not entitle them to special enrollment ..."

Has anyone run into a similar case? It appears to me they tried to do the "right" thing by keeping COBRA. Now, they are stuck.

They are looking into a BCBS Medigap. Would there be any complications with obtaining a Medigap?

Last edited:
I ran into this for the first time on Friday - dealing with Cobra. Yes, they have to take Part B within an 8 month period from getting Cobra. My couple is going to go ahead and get Part B now, doing this will cause them to have no penality and then they are wanting a MAPD which we will use AEP in the fall.

I would think your lady is in the 8 month window in that she can still get Part B without penality. Also, isn't she still in Guarenteed enrollment since her b'day was in June?

There is a section about cobra in "Medicare and You".

Yeah just get her on a med supp. She's still guaranteed for any med supp and no pre existing conditions

Re: Medicare and COBRA trap

I screwed up the title to this thread. Should have put "COBRA trap" instead of pre-existing conditions. Wasn't my first screw up. Won't be my last.

As an FYI, BCBSIL medsupps are GI in IL. They may want to look at other options, since BCBS tends to be pricier for that reason and they are still in their special enrollment period.

Sign her up for Part B and then get a med supp issued, it will be a GI situation. First time on a Med supp at age 65 and also off of a group is GI.

Sign her up for Part B and then get a med supp issued, it will be a GI situation. First time on a Med supp at age 65 and also off of a group is GI.

Medicare doesn't want her for another 18 months and will charge her a Late Enrollment Penalty (LEP) for her part B premium similar to the LEP for part D.

They do this as a disincentive for people that wait until they get sick to sign up for part B. People need to sign up for part B when they are eligible.

COBRA is much more expensive then part B to the consumer. $115.40 a month and you get all of your bills paid for at 80%. Where do I sign up?

Back