Medicare Disability beneficiary Turning 65 question

According to Medicare.gov looks to me like it should be easy drop MAPD switch to PDP and sell the supplement unless I'm brain dead again.

I'm already eligible for Medicare because of a disability, and I turned 65.

What can I do?

• Sign up for a Medicare Advantage Plan and/or a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.
  • Switch from your current Medicare Advantage Plan or Medicare Prescription Drug Plan to another plan.
  • Drop a Medicare Advantage Plan or a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan completely.
When?

During the 7-month period that:

• Starts 3 months before the month you turn 65
  • Includes the month you turn 65
  • Ends 3 months after the month you turn 65
If you sign up for a Medicare Advantage Plan during this time, you can drop that plan any time during the next 12 months and go back to Original Medicare is a fee-for-service health plan that has two parts: Part A (Hospital Insurance) and Part B (Medical Insurance). After you pay a deductible, Medicare pays its share of the Medicare-approved amount, and you pay your share (coinsurance and deductibles).

" class="inline hover" style="color: rgb(15, 15, 15); border-bottom: 1px dotted; cursor: help !important;">Original Medicare

If you sign up for a Medicare Advantage Plan during this time, you can drop that plan any time during the next 12 months and go back

It's the go back that creates a problem.

Yes, the individual can go back to traditional Medicare without a hitch. No underwriting.

If they are healthy, they have choices for the Medigap plan.

If not, they are limited to a few plans. With most carriers GI pays a token commission which means most agents won't touch a GI case.

Plus if you write too much GI with a carrier they can cancel your contract.

It's the go back that creates a problem.

Yes, the individual can go back to traditional Medicare without a hitch. No underwriting.

If they are healthy, they have choices for the Medigap plan.

If not, they are limited to a few plans. With most carriers GI pays a token commission which means most agents won't touch a GI case.

Plus if you write too much GI with a carrier they can cancel your contract.

That a whole different problem I was addressing the PDP part of his question since he didn't know if it would work thanks I try and learn from all you guys.

That a whole different problem I was addressing the PDP part of his question since he didn't know if it would work thanks I try and learn from all you guys.

OK, but your linked verbiage reads "go back to Original Medicare"

And the last paragraph of you link terminates the explanation in the same place.

If you sign up for a Medicare Advantage Plan during this time, you can drop that plan any time during the next 12 months and go back to Original Medicare.
Joining a health or drug plan | Medicare

Original Medicare does not include Part D. It is offered by carriers, not the gubbermint.

Not being picky, just clarifying

And the last paragraph of you link terminates the explanation in the same place.

If you sign up for a Medicare Advantage Plan during this time, you can drop that plan any time during the next 12 months and go back to Original Medicare.

Original Medicare does not include Part D. It is offered by carriers, not the gubbermint.

Maybe I copied and pasted too much this is the part I thought addressed the question the second sentence below I read as ok to drop the MAPD and switch to PDP or I read the original question wrong. thanks:

What can I do?

• Sign up for a Medicare Advantage Plan and/or a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.
  • Switch from your current Medicare Advantage Plan or Medicare Prescription Drug Plan to another plan.
  • Drop a Medicare Advantage Plan or a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan completely.
and this was the part I was addressing from the first thread post:

I'm not sure this would work because of the 3 month window for the change from an MAPD to a PDP. Am I correct in thinking she would have to make the change within the standard 3 month window?

There is SEP for a drug plan I have done a few

In UHC's EP guide
I enrolled in an MA/MA-PD plan upon turning 65. I want to leave that plan and go back to Original Medicare. First Time MA Member (Age-In)  N/A for MA Plans  SEP - SEP 65

There is also SEP for dropping Supp to get MA and returning to OG Medicare

I dropped my Medigap coverage to enroll in an MA/MA-PD plan for the first time. I am in my "trial period" and I want to go back to Original Medicare. Consumers in an MA-PD who drop Medigap and are in Trial period  N/A for MA Plans
 SEP-Indiv drop Medigap-Trial period

Depending on her birth month, the last 6 months maybe right around the annual enrollment period. You may be able to use that enrollment to have a 1-1 effective date for the part D plan while using her open enrollment for the Medicare supplement.

There is SEP for a drug plan I have done a few

In UHC's EP guide
I enrolled in an MA/MA-PD plan upon turning 65. I want to leave that plan and go back to Original Medicare. First Time MA Member (Age-In)  N/A for MA Plans  SEP - SEP 65

There is also SEP for dropping Supp to get MA and returning to OG Medicare

I dropped my Medigap coverage to enroll in an MA/MA-PD plan for the first time. I am in my "trial period" and I want to go back to Original Medicare. Consumers in an MA-PD who drop Medigap and are in Trial period  N/A for MA Plans
 SEP-Indiv drop Medigap-Trial period

Just to clarify the SEP65 is not available to anyone who started Medicare prior to Age 65.

Back