Medicare Supplement Direct Mail Questions ?

CALTCAgent

Guru
1000 Post Club
This seems to be very difficult to know where to mail and to who.

Area Questions:

Would you mail if you were in an area where it seems 40% of the people have a large MAPD HMO, that agents can't sell ?

Would you still mail into that area and look to cross sell ?

Would you select a more rural area and drive further, that does not have the MA penetration ?

Income & Age Questions :

What ages would you mail to, 67 to 75 ?

Would you mail turning 65 ?

What income ?

PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!

Last edited:
No, No, Yes, Yes, Yes, $24k+

In all seriousness you really should learn a bunch more before you spend any of your hard earned money on a direct mail campaign. You're going to get eaten alive unless you know your market EXTREMELY well… And what you want them to do (the first step after they see the mailing… then the next...).

Do tons of market research until you know exactly what color your prospects underwear is and what he/she likes to eat for diner on Thursdays.

Once you know that then do some small tests and survey the people you think should be in your desired demo. Keep testing/surveying/narrowing/mailing.

No, No, Yes, Yes, Yes, $24k+

In all seriousness you really should learn a bunch more before you spend any of your hard earned money on a direct mail campaign. You're going to get eaten alive unless you know your market EXTREMELY well… And what you want them to do (the first step after they see the mailing… then the next...).

What would you suggest learning to know your medicare market ?

What steps should I want them to take ?

Once you know that then do some small tests and survey the people you think should be in your desired demo. Keep testing/surveying/narrowing/mailing.

How small of tests do you suggest ?

Depends on your budget. You could mail out surveys or get a list and pick up the phone and start talking to people. Join social media groups where seniors hang out and see what they are talking about.

About 1000 pieces… Maybe more maybe less depending on what you are doing.

Anyone else have any input on this? Thinking of doing a 1000 piece mailer to 66-75 year olds in a suburb a bit outside of my city with 30k+ household income. Is this in line with who my target should generally be?

Anyone else have any input on this? Thinking of doing a 1000 piece mailer to 66-75 year olds in a suburb a bit outside of my city with 30k+ household income. Is this in line with who my target should generally be?

I would go closer to 67 or 68 at the bottom, and maybe 77 or so at the top depending on how the general health of the area is. If there is a lot of United Healthcare/AARP in the area, 67/68 is where the prices begin to start jumping.

I would go closer to 67 or 68 at the bottom, and maybe 77 or so at the top depending on how the general health of the area is. If there is a lot of United Healthcare/AARP in the area, 67/68 is where the prices begin to start jumping.

Thanks, I'll bump the bottom age up. Should I cap the income? Can't imagine why I would want to, maybe rich people don't care about saving money? Dunno...

Almost everyone around here is with United Healthcare or USAA.

Lots of overweight people around here and they seem to start having health problems around 75. Not sure why that's the magic number but the amount of 75+ med sup replacement apps that I've had actually go through vs how many I've written is not good.

Back