Medicare vs Health Insurance Exchange

Rjx42

If you are not eligible for Medicare (due to 40 quarter work requirement), you can apply for marketplace insurance on exchange. For low income folks, marketplace insurance is pretty cheap. I'm wondering how the benefits of exchange insurance compares with Medicare on average. Should one try to get on Medicare by completing 40 quarter work requirement? Does Medicare cover things that Obamacare doesn't cover?

If you are not eligible for Medicare (due to 40 quarter work requirement), you can apply for marketplace insurance on exchange. For low income folks, marketplace insurance is pretty cheap. I'm wondering how the benefits of exchange insurance compares with Medicare on average. Should one try to get on Medicare by completing 40 quarter work requirement? Does Medicare cover things that Obamacare doesn't cover?

this obviously depends on the state and are you referring to MAPD?
If it was in FL, a low income person could get a low premium silver plan and have CSR. If they were on Medicare, they could get a plan with low copays and a $130-164.90 part b refund.
Both options will have tight networks.
In general the medicare plans will be the better option. Plus, they won’t have a part b and D LEP

Thanks! Yes, I want to compare with MAPD as marketplace insurance comes with drug coverage. I’m interested in California where you can get Kaiser Silver 94 plan for very cheap or zero cost depending upon income.

Thanks! Yes, I want to compare with MAPD as marketplace insurance comes with drug coverage. I’m interested in California where you can get Kaiser Silver 94 plan for very cheap or zero cost depending upon income.

Does the prospect not care about LEP?

I thought that LEP is not applied if you aren’t eligible earlier and/or have credible coverage.

Aca far superior to a regular mapd for low income . If your eligible for the silver with big cost sharing your looking at $1200-$1400 max out of pocket and that includes your drug coverage . Believe me I’ve moved a ton of you younger ssdi people off aca to Mapd when they get there pary A and B after 24 months . Since they don’t qualify for extra help the plans are terrible compared to aca . Everyone asks “ can’t I just stay on aca “ . Nope you can’t . So your saying when someone turns 65 and has to pay for part A they can opt to stay on aca for life ? They never push them off ? I’m pretty sure the vast majority of people who don’t qualify for paid part A are on Medicaid.

not eligible for Medicare (due to 40 quarter work requirement),

Enrollees age 65 and over who have fewer than 40 quarters of coverage and certain persons with disabilities pay a monthly premium in order to voluntarily enroll in Medicare Part A. Individuals who had at least 30 quarters of coverage or were married to someone with at least 30 quarters of coverage may buy into Part A at a reduced monthly premium rate, which will be $278 in 2023, a $4 increase from 2022. Certain uninsured aged individuals who have less than 30 quarters of coverage and certain individuals with disabilities who have exhausted other entitlement will pay the full premium, which will be $506 a month in 2023, a $7 increase from 2022.

https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/fact-s...s-2023-medicare-part-d-income-related-monthly

I thought that LEP is not applied if you aren’t eligible earlier and/or have credible coverage.

Some providers of creditable coverage include:

Your prospect is ELIGIBLE for Medicare but apparently not eligible for premium free Part A.

How many quarters of substantial earnings do they have?

Yes, there will be a penalty. But because she isn’t eligible for premium free part A, she is eligible for a subsidy if she has limited income. ACA is not creditable coverage to Medicare B and D.

The prospects aren't eligible for Medicare because they just immigrated here as a permanent resident. Looks like they need to be present for 5 years before they become eligible for Medicare. By then they will 82 yr old. I think if they sign up for Medicare then, it shouldn't result in LEP. They have never worked here so don't have any quarters of earnings.

BUT, covered CA explicitly allows folks to remain on their health plans if they have to pay a premium for part A: [EXTERNAL LINK] - People With Medicare

There is an exception for people eligible for premium Part A. If you must pay for Medicare Part A, you may purchase a Covered California health plan instead of enrolling in Medicare Part A.

Does the above mean that they can be on ACA for forever or at least until some new law is passed?

Back