Misinformation?

1. Let me tell you. NO ONE likes a whistleblower. NO ONE, except the media.

2. If I were you, I would first of all stop posting under your current screen name. Let all this go away - - who knows, the very people you are writing about might come here.

3. Keep a journal or diary. Write down what you told them. Then, if they treat you differently, write it down (document it).

4. Yes, you have rights and all that, however, to get those rights enforced, costs time and money. It is a hastle you do not want.

5. Start looking for a different situation. If they will cheat clients, they will cheat you. Start looking for a new agency now.

6. Don't think you are anonymous. A computer savy person can trace the URL of the person that posted the message. If you must post about unethical activities, go to the public library. I would stop posting under your current sign-on and create a new one if you wish to continue posting here.

7. Believe me, from first-hand experience, no one cares. Sure the enforcement people will be all over you, but once the case is adjudicated, you are on your own.

8. I know you are trying to do the right thing. However, everyone else will be trying to see what your angle is.

9. Save yourself and your family. Keep your mouth shut and move on when you get a chance.

Good luck

john_petrowski said:
Not true. A formal DOI complaint, even if no action is taken, would put him on the DOI radar screen. Then if another similar complaint comes in the DOI can say "I think we're starting to see a pattern." In fact, the reason unethical outfits continue to operate is because no one reports them.

My understanding is that the company managers have surrendered their licenses when accepting a management position. I'm sure they have a Series 26 or the proper SEC/NASD requirement, but I don't think they're actually licensed. Nevertheless, I'm sure the DOI has his records and I'm sure the DOI certainly has the power to investigate claims against unlicensed individuals.

But there is no doubt I would have paid a price. You can bet when nothing could have been done at that time, I would have made an enemy in the office and it's very possible he would have eventually turned everyone else on me too, especially if it ends up I don't produce all that much. Then, it's not that he did anything wrong, but I just have "sour grapes". God only knows where I would have turned for support on complex cases and you can figure that the small number of leads that filter in would go to anyone but me. Unfortunately, some days you just have to hope there is a God, because the reality is life is not fair and some people never seem to get what is coming to them.

It's amazing when people can witness unethical and even illegal behavior but they're too scared to do anything about it.

If any agent sold me a plan and didn't disclose important limitations they wouldn't have to worry about me bitching about it online and tracing my IP address. They'd most likely have to worry about me knocking on their door and puching them dead in the mouth.

And now they have my contracts for 6 months. I'm not the most seasoned agent and it makes me wonder that if I caught the stuff I did where else am I being misled. It was also stated that the providers don't want to do business with BSBS because they take too long to pay, as long as 9 months. And that they don't have that many doctors in their PPO network; only 2000 compared to 8000 PHCS. I have both the PHCS and BCBS directory and they are just as fat. Gee, I'm starting to get the idea that they don't like BCBS.

John, you are right in that you can't work with those you don't respect.

john_petrowski said:
It's amazing when people can witness unethical and even illegal behavior but they're too scared to do anything about it.

If any agent sold me a plan and didn't disclose important limitations they wouldn't have to worry about me bitching about it online and tracing my IP address. They'd most likely have to worry about me knocking on their door and puching them dead in the mouth.

Most of the ethical issues involve lying about how much I would be paid. The only thing that really bothered me was the forgery issue and I probably lost the case because I would not go along with it. When it comes down to it, I won't do the client wrong to make a sale or increase a sale. There is no compromising on that issue and I'll leave if the problem becomes unbearable.

John, you have to understand I'm dead broke and basically starting out from scratch. I'm not in your shoes where if tomorrow Aetna, Golden Rule, or even Assurant pisses you off, you'll take the business elsewhere and it won't spell the end of Health Solutions. In my situation, I need training and support, at least for now, and if I walk...it's over.

At that point, I would have to go indy and hope I can get some support from folks there. We both know most successful indies were in my shoes at some point. You know I considered going indy and getting appointed with you last summer, before taking my current offer. I was a tough decision, but I know you have a lot going on with your agency and various people you're training and you're a half-day drive away. I knew my ability to train with you would be limited. If this opportunity does not work out, going indy might be more realistic because I wouldn't be starting from scratch (yes, I was with NASE, but that was 1998 and didn't stay very long). At that point, I could probably train a couple days or so with you and be much further ahead of the game. Anyway, the large career shops are going to give you one shot and that's it. Friends and family encouraged me to make the move I made and it's the hand I have to play out, at least for now.

As MGAs they simply want all business to go through companies where they get overrides. I feel their pain. I also used to train agents who would have to write Blue Cross cases and obviously I didn't get anything. But that's life. In fact, it's a main reason I'm not hiring anymore. I used to train agents who inevitably have to write Aetna and Blue Cross but I don't get anything. Those companies also don't provide any agent training so my Assurant agents would want to call me and spend 45 minutes on the phone going over how to write an Aetna case and the differences between the Blue Cross plans. I can't have 15 agents calling me all day asking about carriers that I don't get overrides for which is why working through an agency is a failed concept. Just be independent.

John,
Blue Cross does give overrides, once you hit 2 million! In any case, we in MD are lucky that they have such crappy rx plans, that we don't even have to worry about it!

Actually, you cannot be a broker for Blue Cross just with individual cases - only with small group cases. And you're right, I can justify to anyone that I simply don't sell plans that have $500 to $1,500 drug caps and don't clearly define benefits like physical therapy.

Back