Missed enrolling in Part B

HeatherA

Expert
Hello, my parents immigrated at the age of 67 and worked 10 years and are now 77. Just got medicare and SS last month. Now, received a letter from SS saying that they owe premium for Part B because they missed enrolling when they were 65. How could they have enrolled when they weren't even in this country at the age of 65? They had a health insurance policy through ACA because they had subsidy from the govt. Can anyone please help on how to sort this out?
They thought they would need their 40 credits first to get medicare and they worked hard to get them. Can't they be peaceful now even at 77? :(

Hello, my parents immigrated at the age of 67 and worked 10 years and are now 77. Just got medicare and SS last month. Now, received a letter from SS saying that they owe premium for Part B because they missed enrolling when they were 65. How could they have enrolled when they weren't even in this country at the age of 65? They had a health insurance policy through ACA because they had subsidy from the govt. Can anyone please help on how to sort this out?
They thought they would need their 40 credits first to get medicare and they worked hard to get them. Can't they be peaceful now even at 77? :(
They get Medicare Part A free. Everybody has to pay for Part B, even the ones that were born here. How much they have to pay depends on their income.

Since they weren't drawing at 65, it's not automatic. They need a good Medicare Supplement to go along with their Medicare. Maybe there's someone on the Forum that sells in Michigan that can help you.

But initially it was determined they pay $0 even for their part B. Now, out of the blue this letter says as a penalty for not enrolling at 65, they have to pay $160 per month. They don't have any other income other than their small SS Check.

I have worked for 46 years and the standard Part B premium for a person becoming eligible for Medicare in 2018 is $134. A $26 penalty for someone who has only contributed for 10 years seems more than fair.

But initially it was determined they pay $0 even for their part B. Now, out of the blue this letter says as a penalty for not enrolling at 65, they have to pay $160 per month. They don't have any other income other than their small SS Check.
The Part B penalty is 10% per year. That almost looks like they're getting penalized for 2 years. Call Social Security and ask them.

Comparing your comments to the agent comments in the thread, It seems to me that the first thing you need to do is to go back and carefully reread your parents' correspondence and see what it really said.

In the $160 you need to see what is premium and what is penalty. The post above gives you a method to have the penalty reduced or removed.

Thanks for all your replies. I did not realize that everyone has to pay $134 as premium. I thought monthly premium was $0 if they had 40 credits and all of $160 was a penalty.

They need a good Medicare Supplement to go along with their Medicare. Maybe there's someone on the Forum that sells in Michigan that can help you.

They need supplement insurance? means another premium to the premium for medicare?
It's cheaper to just keep working and going with ACA plan, no?

How much is the supplement insurance? will it cover all deductible of Medicare and copays and coinsurance?

Setting that question aside for a moment, There is also the issue of prescription drugs.

Have they gotten a prescription drug plan to give them some coverage for their medications?

Your answer to that will show an agent the full extent of the general advice you may need.

Back