Missed Group Health Opportunity w/Current Client

insurehound

Guru
100+ Post Club
Escondido
So I have a client that has Group DI with me. I had originally seen him for Group Health and at that time, he had a solid relationship with another broker in my area. Even my Marketing company who knew this agent told me that this guy was extremely hard to compete against.

From time to time, I would follow up with him to see if we could compete for his Group Health business and the answer was no.

I get a call from this client today on a service issue and I asked him again if I could see if I could save him some money on his Group Health and I learned that his Daughter (now Office Manager) switched his Group business to a new agent that once worked with them selling AFLAC.

UGH!!!!

Lessons learned:

1.) Stay in contact with everyone who is involved in the decision-making.

2.) Never believe others who tell you that another agent is "too strong to compete against" as he lost the business as well!

3.) Sometimes you can't beat the fact that one of the decision makers will like someone who is closer to them in age and gender or will just like someone else period.

I guess the good news is that I get to keep my Group DI biz and have a chance to offer more Group DI to this client who has opened up a new company.

Group DI is a disservice to the insured unless it is a voluntary plan and even those are usually lousy contracts. A better choice is individual DI for the tax advantage.

A buddy of mine specializes in replacing group DI with individual policies. Does quite well.

I understand that and believe me, Individual DI was my first try but the client wanted to have something for his employees as opposed to nothing (even though I clearly pointed out the differences between Individual and Group).

I don't write a lot of Group DI...

It happens but I would not say you missed it. If you have been calling on them over the years and had some business with them already it sounds the new girl did not want to do business with you. This happens to me a couple of times a year.

This year I was working a case with 3 locations and about 50 employees. After a year of fighting for the group I get in. I was a couple of meetings away from getting the client and then the controller left. New controller had her own people.

I think your lucky she did not give over an AOR on the DI.

I have had cases where I picked up the health and they then gave me the AOR on STD/LTD.

Group DI is a disservice to the insured unless it is a voluntary plan and even those are usually lousy contracts. A better choice is individual DI for the tax advantage.

A buddy of mine specializes in replacing group DI with individual policies. Does quite well.

Sorry for the late response, but I just had to ask why you think Group DI is a disservice to the insured?

Say you have an employer who wants to offer a competitive benefits package to attract the brightest employees. Wouldn't a group disability plan be one of the first things you would want to suggest after the medical? I think an executive with cancer or some other serious disorder would think it would be very beneficial and appreciate that the employer is paying for the premium. Especially since all the employees would be covered on day one without underwriting.

(As a disclaimer I am a carrier rep with Reliance Standard and group DI is one of our most popular products and I just had to register to respond to this post)

Sorry for the late response, but I just had to ask why you think Group DI is a disservice to the insured?

Say you have an employer who wants to offer a competitive benefits package to attract the brightest employees. Wouldn't a group disability plan be one of the first things you would want to suggest after the medical? I think an executive with cancer or some other serious disorder would think it would be very beneficial and appreciate that the employer is paying for the premium. Especially since all the employees would be covered on day one without underwriting.

(As a disclaimer I am a carrier rep with Reliance Standard and group DI is one of our most popular products and I just had to register to respond to this post)

In normal economic situations I would agree with you but right now people are lucky just to have a job. Employers really don't have to compete for top talent right now.

From a small group standpoint the employers are cutting contribution levels for the health insurance if they are even keeping the plan. So to come in with an employer sponsored DI I not real practical. Maybe voluntary.

Back