Mold Insurance Rider ???

Tim Resnick

Super Genius
Ok...so i know little to nothing about PC.

My brother bought a fixer upper home 2 yrs ago. That same year he replaced the roof. Prior to that, the house had roof leaks. When the roofer replaced the roof, he literally changed about 75% of the Plywood sheets. A lot of those plywood sheets (4x8) were rotting from the roof leak over the years.

Now he's getting a "funky Mold smell" from somewhere in the attic. He's wondering if he's got mold in the attic or perhaps from some wall inside the house. Hard to tell. I went over there and smelled something like 'mildew' smell but there was no visible sign of Mold on the ceiling or drywall (anywhere).

Last year there was a Hurricane that hit the area pretty hard, but no apparent damage to the house.

Question: Is there Mold Coverage for SF Houses? (i thought somewhere there would be, but maybe i'm wrong).

ALSO, can get a mold rider (or is this coverage no where to be heard of)?

PS. The house is in Florida.

Thanks for any constructive input you can offer.

Read the policy and contact the carrier. Some insurers do not cover mold, some have a hard limit (maybe $5000). They usually will not open walls to look for additional mold. If it is in the attic and visible it can be addressed. Not aware of Mold rider availability since it can be a real bucket of worms

Question: Is there Mold Coverage for SF Houses? (i thought somewhere there would be, but maybe i'm wrong).

ALSO, can I get a mold rider (or is this coverage no where to be heard of)?

This is the mold exclusion in an HO-3:

Mold, fungus or wet rot. However, we do insure for loss caused by mold, fungus or wet rot that is hidden within the walls or ceilings or beneath the floors or above the ceilings of a structure if such loss results from the accidental discharge or overflow of water or steam from within:
(a) A plumbing, heating, air conditioning or automatic fire protective sprinkler system, or a household appliance, on the "residence premises"; or
(b) A storm drain, or water, steam or sewer pipes, off the "residence premises".
For purposes of this provision, a plumbing system or household appliance does not include a sump, sump pump or related equipment or a roof drain, gutter, downspout or similar fixtures or equipment;

My homeowners policy has optional coverage for mold (mold rider) called:

Limited Fungi, Wet or Dry Rot, or Bacteria Coverage in the amount of $10,000.

It's ISO Form HO-504 if you want to ask your agent about it. Or check your policy to see if you already have it.

Companies with proprietary insurance forms may have different arrangements.

If you don't have it and want to buy it, just understand that it won't cover anything that existed before the date you buy it.

In some situations you can get a very limited amount of mold coverage. You will have to read the insurance policy to find out what they currently have, but typically it is excluded.

In addition, this may sound obvious, but since you already know of the mold you would not be able to add coverage after you found out about it and successfully file a claim for it.

Back