MOO Medicare Supp

ehall2

Super Genius
I haven't sold med supps in a few years, but when I did I liked MOO but I used other companies also. I have lost of lot of these because MOO has had substantial rate increases. I moved my brother in law to another company a few years ago and a few months ago he was complaining about the rate so I tried to move him to Prosperity but they declined him. Reason was he has a shot in his eye every three months and the shot is $5,000. He was interested in a MA product so I referred him to a friend that sells a lot of MAs. My friend told him because of the shots he needed to stay where he is. Got a call from brother in law yesterday because another agent told him MOO had a lower rate and would insure him. He said there wasn't a question on the app that asked anything about eye problems. I don't really care if he switches but he is having another shot in March and wants to get the MOO before then. A friend of brother in law that has MOO for several years said he hasn't had any major rate increases with MOO. That hasn't been my experience. So, any of you all that sell MOO think brother in law would get issued and have coverage. Thanks.

The last MoO App I did had this question:

"20. Have you been advised by a medical professional to have treatment, further diagnostic evaluation,
diagnostic testing, follow up visits or any surgery that has not been performed?"

I think this would be a Yes.

When I switched to the Medicare market in 2010 I offered the MOO flavor at that time (United World). Things were OK for a year or so, then UW was "retired" from Georgia and replaced with (I think) United of Omaha.

That was when the fun began.

Since then we have had Omaha Insurance Company and now Mutual of Omaha. There might have been another flag in the mix . . . hard to keep up with the merry-go-round of carrier names under the same umbrella.

Most of my clients stay with the original carrier but I still roll a handful each year.

When I wrote the UW and UOO policies I tried to move them to another MOO carrier or even a completely different carrier. No one wanted to move so I quit trying.

I no longer get residuals from them . . . haven't in a few years . . . I don't miss them at all.

I haven't sold med supps in a few years, but when I did I liked MOO but I used other companies also. I have lost of lot of these because MOO has had substantial rate increases. I moved my brother in law to another company a few years ago and a few months ago he was complaining about the rate so I tried to move him to Prosperity but they declined him. Reason was he has a shot in his eye every three months and the shot is $5,000. He was interested in a MA product so I referred him to a friend that sells a lot of MAs. My friend told him because of the shots he needed to stay where he is. Got a call from brother in law yesterday because another agent told him MOO had a lower rate and would insure him. He said there wasn't a question on the app that asked anything about eye problems. I don't really care if he switches but he is having another shot in March and wants to get the MOO before then. A friend of brother in law that has MOO for several years said he hasn't had any major rate increases with MOO. That hasn't been my experience. So, any of you all that sell MOO think brother in law would get issued and have coverage. Thanks.
I don't/won't sell MOFO. They have the same underwriting as the carriers they TPA for. MOFO won't issue him another policy because "he's taking medication that must be administered in a physician's office". Not mentioned on the app, but it's covered in the Underwriting Guide.

Very few carriers mention it on the app, but mention it and other knockout conditions in the underwriting guide...most mention receiving shots in the doctor's office(B12 and cortisone shots can be exception). You can't just look at the app, you have to check the UW Guide too.

A few companies look back 12 months on the shots for Wet Macular Degeneration, most say if ever.

I recommend you subscribe to Insurance Toolkits. It does a good job of underwriting conditions and meds.

Back