More insurance brokers would choose traditional Medicare over Medicare Advantage: Report

What type of Medicare would you choose for yourself?

• Original Medicare with Medigap / PDP

Votes: 40 67.8%
  • Medicare Advantage (MAPD)

Votes: 19 32.2%

• Total voters
"Way better care" I speak from experience. 12 years in the industry, 1400 + clients active on MAPD plans.

Essentially every agent on here seems to have 5,000 or more MAPD and never have any complaints.

That is complete BS and runs counter to every study and survey of the folks who actually have these plans and try to use them.

Last edited:
"Way better care" I speak from experience. 12 years in the industry, 1400 + clients active on MAPD plans.

Wow. So, I know a guy and a gal, actually several guys and gals, who have been in the industry "way longer" than you, have "way more clients" than you, who speak the exact opposite.

Could you all be right? Or just you?

Welcome to the forum. BTW, in the future, it's all in the delivery.

If you read further into the study, you will find they only interviewed 29 brokers and agents. that is hardly a reason to say "MANY" or "MOST Agents" I would choose MAPD hands down over MED SUPP. Way better care, and incentive for the Providers to care and do more for their panel, rather than just FFS shi*
I was speaking of this forum poll above where 60 agents voted, 40 want med supps

I was speaking of this forum poll above where 60 agents voted, 40 want med supps

“Well, color me surprised! A poll on this forum showing a preference for Med Supps over MAPD? Shocking! Let’s be real – most of the vocal folks here are seasoned veterans (or, as I like to call them, ‘ole geezers’) who’ve seen it all and probably have too much time on their hands. Set in their ways? Absolutely. The thought of getting certified for something new? Please, that’s like asking them to trade in their comfy slippers for running shoes. They’re more than happy to stick to what they know, even if it means being a bit of a stick in the mud. Ruffling feathers? It’s practically a sport here. But hey, that’s the charm of this forum, isn’t it?”

“Well, color me surprised! A poll on this forum showing a preference for Med Supps over MAPD? Shocking! Let’s be real – most of the vocal folks here are seasoned veterans (or, as I like to call them, ‘ole geezers’) who’ve seen it all and probably have too much time on their hands. Set in their ways? Absolutely. The thought of getting certified for something new? Please, that’s like asking them to trade in their comfy slippers for running shoes. They’re more than happy to stick to what they know, even if it means being a bit of a stick in the mud. Ruffling feathers? It’s practically a sport here. But hey, that’s the charm of this forum, isn’t it?”
I'm a size 13. Running shoes that is. I'm an ole geezer that's certified and sells the stuff.

As for the feathers, I'll ruffle them little sumbitches in a heartbeat.

As for the poll, I voted. For a supplement.

You are generalizing. I’ve sold MAPD since back when annual enrollment ended on Dec 31st (that sucked) and have been on a United Healthcare PPO plan for many years. I turn 65 in two years and will definitely go with original Medicare over ANY insurance company plan. No question about it.
But the line is divided by money. People that can afford a supplement (includes most successful insurance agents) are going to go supplement. People with less money are going to go Advantage.

You are generalizing. I’ve sold MAPD since back when annual enrollment ended on Dec 31st (that sucked) and have been on a United Healthcare PPO plan for many years. I turn 65 in two years and will definitely go with original Medicare over ANY insurance company plan. No question about it.
But the line is divided by money. People that can afford a supplement (includes most successful insurance agents) are going to go supplement. People with less money are going to go Advantage.

Your point about generalizing preferences based on financial capability in choosing Medicare plans is important. It's true that the ability to afford a particular plan does play a role in decision-making, but it's not the only factor.

Just like someone might opt for auto insurance with a deductible, even if they could afford a policy with zero deductible, the choice isn't solely based on financial capacity. People evaluate their needs, risks, and the value they get from each option. A person with the means to afford a zero-deductible policy might still choose one with a deductible because they assess the risk as manageable and prefer to save on premiums.

Just because someone can afford a Medicare Supplement plan doesn't automatically mean they will choose it (based on the 33 million of folks that have MAPD plans) They might find that a Medicare Advantage plan suits their needs better, offers specific benefits they value, or aligns more closely with their healthcare philosophy.

Folks with more financial resources are inherently prudent with their money suggests that their choices are guided by what is right for them, rather than just financial capability. They might opt for Original Medicare and a supplement plan not merely because they can afford it, but because they've evaluated it as the best fit for their healthcare needs and risk tolerance.

I do think that financial means is a significant factor, it's crucial to acknowledge the many considerations that go into such personal decisions about healthcare coverage.

Caveat, I am not an agent.

That matches my personal experience. I didn't believe I could afford a supplement when I went on Medicare. I finally compromised on an HDF.

But the line is divided by money. People that can afford a supplement (includes most successful insurance agents) are going to go supplement.

For your own sake, and the sake of those you advise, please don't accept that as an ALL statement. Saying generally is fine. Saying always is not true.

Although I am not an agent, 3 examples:
1--@Ardvark made a wonderful post back in 2016-2017 about a wealthy customer who chose MAPD and the reason is quite delightful to hear about.

2--In his online training when he was still with SMS-Columbia, Mike Gattorna talked about a sales call he made earlier in his career, to a wealthier area in KC, expecting to talk to one person, but wound up with 3. He just "rolled with the flow", presented and obtained 2 MAPD sales and 1 Medigap sale.

3--Both from forum posts and messaging, I know that there are agents (some with chronic conditions) who genuinely believe MAPD's are the best choice for them for Medicare coverage.

I could not tell percentages, but I know from my forum training that saying "All wealthy people will go OM/Medigap/PDP rather than MAPD, or that "All Medicare agents will choose Medigap" are mindsets that could trap a person.

The general comments I most like are either "Present both" or Bevo's comment of "Market for what you want to sell".

People that can afford a supplement (includes most successful insurance agents) are going to go supplement. People with less money are going to go Advantage.

I still haven't figured out how the folks who rent the MAPD from the dollar menu can afford to pay medical bills . . . the only answer I get from the forum is "they don't worry about paying medical bills" . . . how well does that work out?

Back