More insurance brokers would choose traditional Medicare over Medicare Advantage: Report

What type of Medicare would you choose for yourself?

• Original Medicare with Medigap / PDP

Votes: 40 67.8%
  • Medicare Advantage (MAPD)

Votes: 19 32.2%

• Total voters
The poll question relates to YOU as an AGENT.

Assuming premiums are within your budget, what would YOU purchase for yourself (or your spouse)?

I see a doc once a year. My wife goes once a month, minimum with occasional hospitalizations and surgery. We're both on MA plans and she's never hit the MOOP. She went on MA when her medsup premium was going to $200 monthly plus a Part D premium. The first year on MA she had heart surgery, out of network, and her copay was $1200. She still asks when the rest of the bills are coming.

Here's a problem with med-supps....Alabama just went up nearly 10% on supplements starting in June with UHC. Plus Alabama is attained age rates. I'm sure Florida will follow suit.

Man I hope not. UHC hasn’t had higher than a 5ish percentage rate increase ever here. I’m expecting 5%.

You don’t buy health insurance based on you being healthy. Someday your health will go downhill all the way to the point that you will die from it. You want to have the health insurance coverage based on when you are unhealthy.

My dad is 90 . 25 years on med sup . I ran his 25 yr premiums for plan f. Almost $60 k . Compounded over 25 yrs if invested at least $200 k he’d have . . He’s never been in hospital ever . Perfect health . So that dispels your theory. And I know you say he’s 1 in a million . Even cut in 1/2 if he had mapd . A lot of savings and there’s many like him

Almost everyone approaches this as purely a math problem.

My transmission goes out. Do I fix it or get a new car?

Perhaps my clients are different. Health care/insurance is not merely dollars out on a monthly basis. Rather, they look for unfettered access to quality health care of THEIR choice.

None of my clients worry about paying their medical bills. Not a single one who has had major claims complain about the premiums they paid. They are glad the coverage they have works exactly as promised.

Im unsure why its ok to have managed care from age 0-64... then suddenly when you hit 65 its imperative that you have zero networks and complete freedom of providers.

What are the mortality rates on MAPD vs. Med Sups?

Are there any stats on longevity after diagnosis of a major illness between the two?

Does the industry have actual stats to back up the fear generated about managed care?

I dont work the Medicare market, so I am genuinely asking these questions...

I do get that as one gets older, more medical care is usually required. But are people actually having terrible experiences with not accessing needed care with MAPD?

Last edited:
Almost everyone approaches this as purely a math problem.

My transmission goes out. Do I fix it or get a new car?

Perhaps my clients are different. Health care/insurance is not merely dollars out on a monthly basis. Rather, they look for unfettered access to quality health care of THEIR choice.

None of my clients worry about paying their medical bills. Not a single one who has had major claims complain about the premiums they paid. They are glad the coverage they have works exactly as promised.

Very good points & I agree with all of them, but wouldn't having a PPO solve that problem? I do know that all doctors may not accept your PPO plan, but if your plan is accepted almost everywhere like BCBS, wouldn't that solve the problem of choice?

Very good points & I agree with all of them, but wouldn't having a PPO solve that problem? I do know that all doctors may not accept your PPO plan, but if your plan is accepted almost everywhere like BCBS, wouldn't that solve the problem of choice?
While a PPO will cover you OON, it usually doesn't pay as well OON.

Back