Mutual Of Omaha weirdness ...

Anybody experience this one ..? So we have this client on a Plan N through M.O.O since Feb. of 2023 ... yesterday she asks about a "Cancer, Heart attack or Stroke" policy ... sure enough M.O.O offers a critical illness policy ... turns out they have 2 options. The phone guy confirmed that M.O.O will send solicitations to clients for these products. One a broker can write people on ... it's a "lump sum" that pays a one time cash amount starting at a 10K benefit option the other is ... "Direct To Consumer ..." which brokers have no involvement with ... the phone guy couldn't go into the terms of it with me ... before I start ranting ... thoughts?

Anybody experience this one ..? So we have this client on a Plan N through M.O.O since Feb. of 2023 ... yesterday she asks about a "Cancer, Heart attack or Stroke" policy ... sure enough M.O.O offers a critical illness policy ... turns out they have 2 options. The phone guy confirmed that M.O.O will send solicitations to clients for these products. One a broker can write people on ... it's a "lump sum" that pays a one time cash amount starting at a 10K benefit option the other is ... "Direct To Consumer ..." which brokers have no involvement with ... the phone guy couldn't go into the terms of it with me ... before I start ranting ... thoughts?
Yeah, write her with Assurity. The direct to consumer product is cheaper (last time I checked) than the one that's broker sold.

Assurity is cheaper (and better) than both.

Yeah, write her with Assurity. The direct to consumer product is cheaper (last time I checked) than the one that's broker sold.

Assurity is cheaper (and better) than both.
Thanks, and of course the "Consumer Direct b.s." option is better ... i thin k that's lame of M.O.O. to pull that ... we bring them in ... and M.O.O. cuts our throat ... just weak ... yeah, I'll get with Assurity ...

She is 71 ... Assurity only offers CI to age 70 looks like ... the price looks comparable with the M.O.O. Broker CI option ...

Last edited:
MoO is notorious for this. They will mail Med Supp clients. Their FE GI product is absolutely unbeatable but is internally offered only.
O.K., that's interesting cause a couple a months ago we wrote a MOO med supp. client on an FE ... I kinda wanted to get her with Trinity cause they were 20 bucks a month cheaper (they seemed to be the cheapest FE around ... thoughts anyone?) but she was already with MOO and it was too much running around ... so they do the "Direct To Consumer" b.s. with FE as well as CI ... kinda douche ... I think we will do an email on this ... of course that kinda practice undermines us ... this other client asks us about this CI ... I'm thinking she got a mailer from MOO ... I asked my partner to get her to scan and email it over ... what am I supposed to do ..? Tell her about the CI that we can offer so we can look like j*ck offs ..? I let the phone droid know we didn't appreciate it ... all these companies are the same ... whores ... we do the initial marketing, build the trust, invest the time, bring them to cow town ... and they pull that b.s. ..?

Last edited:
Thanks, and of course the "Consumer Direct b.s." option is better ... i thin k that's lame of M.O.O. to pull that ... we bring them in ... and M.O.O. cuts our throat ... just weak ... yeah, I'll get with Assurity ...
Don't know what you would be surprised at this. MoO has done this since the beginning of time.

O.K., that's interesting cause a couple a months ago we wrote a MOO med supp. client on an FE ... I kinda wanted to get her with Trinity cause they were 20 bucks a month cheaper (they seemed to be the cheapest FE around ... thoughts anyone?) but she was already with MOO and it was too much running around ... so they do the "Direct To Consumer" b.s. with FE as well as CI ... kinda douche ... I think we will do an email on this ... of course that kinda practice undermines us ... this other client asks us about this CI ... I'm thinking she got a mailer from MOO ... I asked my partner to get her to scan and email it over ... what am I supposed to do ..? Tell her about the CI that we can offer so we can look like j*ck offs ..? I let the phone droid know we didn't appreciate it ... all these companies are the same ... whores ... we do the initial marketing, build the trust, invest the time, bring them to cow town ... and they pull that b.s. ..?
They have a form that they send with the policy that lets you opt out of that marketing (I don't know about FE, but their other products have it).

Complete that and send it in to at least minimize them marketing direct.

a couple years ago I learned the hard way that UHC golden rule short term plans were also undercutting g the agent price, if you buy direct. I foolishly used the prices on the public site to quote a prospect, and when I went to enroll her, my agent portal price was higher. Made me look stupid. So I lost that sale, but still helped her enroll. She’s on Medicare now, and my client.

If I remember correctly, awhile back I noticed Cigna medsupp offer a little discount if people buy direct, like 5%, which seems underhanded.

Back