My first post, your opinions on Guardian.

Guardian is just another Northwestern or NY Life in my opinion. We get those guys all the time who are carrer agents with one of those companies. They sell their Whole Life with their home company and earn 30% on target. Then they come write their Term and 'term to 100' with me and earn 100% on target. The only reason they stay with their home comapny is for the assitant, training, health benefits, and other perks.

I started with NML and then went to Guardian to start a district office. It is a good company, but it really depends on your agency. I left Guardian after 2 1/2 years and I am now independent and I love it. The sooner you start working with companies that vest your renewals the better off you will be.

Matt

I like the Living Balance Sheet and considered working with them as an advisor, since I have my Series 7 and 66. That is, until I found that I had to PAY them 300 dollars a month for the privilege.

NO THANKS!

I will NEVER pay someone to work for them. Never understood that logic.

I agree with TX, life insurance is generally a pretty crappy investment. Buy term, it's inexpensive and invest the rest...the hard part is getting people to do the second part - invest. Not impossible, obviously, but life insurance typically isn't the best investment vehicle, IMO.

You know why the sales manager is on you? He depends on you for his pay.. Depending on how you feel that either is ok or totally unnecessary.

The day it dawned on me was when I was in a arguement with a sales manager over my sales, more importantly what I was selling.. He finally came out and told me the products I was selling didn't pay HIM as well as some others.

I came into this business and still believe you sell what the client wants and fits their situation first, second and third. If you do, you have a client. They will stay and buy more from you.

A sales manager wants you to sell what has the best bang for them. They don't care about fit, they care about overrides. Most often it takes a client several years to figure out if they bought junk the sales manager wants you to sell. Usually they just drop the policy and you, sales manager gets away scot free.

I guess I should clarify it depends on who you get as a manager. I burned out pretty quick on the first couple sales managers I worked for. Actually what was odd was I was sold on being able to be "independent" when I signed on, but I had to answer to somebody????

I am independent now and don't have to worry about a sales manager's bitchiness.

Thanks for all of the good feedback guys.

I really should look into the vesting schedule, if there is one. I do belive in the integrity of the company and would most likely sell alot of the same Guardian products if I went independant.

My intial training was along the lines of find the business owners, sell them WL and aim for big premiums from successful people. Of course coming into the industry comepletely green, that was easier said than done. As the trianing proved to be less than productive thoughout the office, it seems like now its go out and sell anyone anything.

I guess there are two ways for me to look at it now.

1. I should stick around and prove to myself that I can be successful where I'm at, then in turn I shouldn't have a reason that I can't make it on my own (which, in all reality, I am pretty much on my own now...)

2. If I've milked it for what its worth, get paid on a couple of decent deals and I should jump ship. Live by one of my favorite qoutes

What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail.

I know this is asked a lot on here, but nonetheless, where would you all recommend me getting info on going independant. I love forums but outside sources would be appreciated to.

Thanks agian

I like the Living Balance Sheet and considered working with them as an advisor, since I have my Series 7 and 66. That is, until I found that I had to PAY them 300 dollars a month for the privilege.

NO THANKS!

I will NEVER pay someone to work for them. Never understood that logic.

I agree with TX, life insurance is generally a pretty crappy investment. Buy term, it's inexpensive and invest the rest...the hard part is getting people to do the second part - invest. Not impossible, obviously, but life insurance typically isn't the best investment vehicle, IMO.

I agree with you on both comments. Paying for LBS is like the modeling agency that says you could be the next big thing in fashion, I need you to pay me $2K so I can get you a professional portfolio....... Generally the agent didn't find the next cindy crawford, he found $2K

WL offers a guaranteed element to someone's portfolio, perhaps this will allow the client to be more aggressive in their other investments. There is something to be said for tax deffered growth as well (even if the growth isn't 10% a year) Most people do not buy term and invest the differance. Most folks buy term and spend the differance....

There is something to be said for tax deffered growth as well (even if the growth isn't 10% a year) Most people do not buy term and invest the differance. Most folks buy term and spend the differance....

If a life insurance salesman gets to the point of where he has to make this argument to sell his product, you know he is selling something he doesn't believe in. Surely there are far less expensive ways to create psychological leverage to save other than permanent life insurance; a monthly automatic account transfer for instance.

I really should look into the vesting schedule, if there is one. I do belive in the integrity of the company and would most likely sell alot of the same Guardian products if I went independant.

Guardian has a contract that is 100% vested. It is called the Full-time Agents (FTA) contract. Commission and renewals are lower, but it is vested and you do not have to worry about validating.

Matt

If you are going to go the invest the difference route than you might as well sell VUL or EIULs. Of course that takes a license.

The only ULs I sell are guaranteed ULs for a buy sell agreement. Attorney's like the word guaranteed.

Back