Need Advice on Getting Started in Insurance

jvandermark

Hi everyone. I have been reading the fourm a lot and must say this is a great resource for anyone in the business.

I'm just starting out and was looking for peoples opinions on getting started. Should I join an IMO or get appointed directly with insurance companies, or both?

Any advice or sugguestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Re: Getting Started

Here is the most important thing I can say. It doesn't matter where you start as long as you start somewhere where there is someone who will teach you how to prospect and how to sell. If you learn to do that you can write your own ticket. If you don't do that you will probably fail. Find someone to be your mentor and to teach you. Do joint selling until you learn the ropes. This is a sure plan for success.

Licensing seems very confusing for a newbie. How many different insurance licenses are there? My husband has his temporary license and is going to AFLAC's school this June. I want to carry a complementary health insurance line and work as a complementary sales team. I have been trying to research the licensing and wanted any advice. It would be greatly appreciated.

I do not have an answer for your state.

However, I can offer this. If I was going to team with an Aflac agent. And I am a green agent. I would get a life license. I would cherry pick the term life and SIWL clients. Also the hard to place. Getting to many licenses is just going to have you running in to many directions. Get good at one area then venture out. I would pick something easy and that helps pay the bills.

Get a good CRM and keep separate files from AFLAC. When someone ask your people who they are insured with. You want them to say Lotus. Not XYZ Company.

Licensing seems very confusing for a newbie. How many different insurance licenses are there? My husband has his temporary license and is going to AFLAC's school this June. I want to carry a complementary health insurance line and work as a complementary sales team. I have been trying to research the licensing and wanted any advice. It would be greatly appreciated.

Back