Need Coverage for Student Travelling Abroad!

timamr

Guru
100+ Post Club
I have a client whos 21 year old daughter that is a full time college student moving to Australia. Is there international coverage of any kind for college students traveling abroad? She currently lives in FL and perfect health.

update: She graduates this year. She won’t be in school after April. She is moving to Australia for her job and to go to Seminary School. So basically, she will not be a student studying abroad as I originally thought. Any help!?!?

update: She graduates this year. She won’t be in school after April. She is moving to Australia for her job and to go to Seminary School. So basically, she will not be a student studying abroad as I originally thought. Any help!?!?

Contact the seminary. She's not the first student they've had with this issue and they probably know the best way to handle it.

We only had one American client on an international IMG GMI policy who developed cancer while in Australia and she was using her policy there to be reimbursed on her treatment. She was glad she had that policy. She did not qualify for the government controlled system there. Is better to have insurance and not need it vs. Not having it and then having a medical crisis... instantly becoming an uninsurable risk. Especially on an STM plan which typically does not cover chronic illness ongoing . Because the girl is going there for long term . Any thing beyond a year is considered long term. And anything can happen. I would not trust that an austrailian employer will cover her right away if she works ... plus she may want to come back to the USA for visits on occasion and her IMG global medical policy will cover her until the policy anniversary date. And an australian government medical plan will not cover her in the USA. End of story. This is just my two cents...

Back