New 2 the Industry...Please Help Me, My Life is on the Line.

I'm with MSP.

I'm also an x-Allstate guy:) They never would have taken your cousins 100 commercial units. Nor would any captive company that I'm aware of. Allstate is NOT a bad deal for a newbie to get his feet wet & learn the business.

You seem to want to get a FAST start without paying the dues, bumps & bruises it takes to become successful. There are NO shortcuts that I know of to get you the experience you need. Passing the License test is just a "License to learn." You know NOTHING. Trust me.

So, if you are in "panic mode" to earn money via shortcuts, then this is the wrong field. But, that is why there is such a turnover in new agents. They get in with $$ signs in their eyes without knowing the commitment it takes to become a professional.

I wish you the Best of Luck. Hopefully you can find someone to take you in & mentor you.

Agreed.

At the risk of sounding like so many of the incontinent oafs that permeate this site, I will say I think the poster is so panicked he's not ready for a business career yet, at least not in the form he seeks.

Go back to allstate right away and tell them u were stupid and want the position back.

Agreed.

At the risk of sounding like so many of the incontinent oafs that permeate this site, I will say I think the poster is so panicked he's not ready for a business career yet, at least not in the form he seeks.

I agree that some of the posters on the forum are brutal, but I don't think they are "incontinent". I doubt many are shoping for Depends yet!!

I dont think any of you even read my question... I am not asking about whether to sell L&H or P&C... I am asking about how to protect myself and make sure I am working for the right broker, so I dont get screwed out of my book or lose my residual... can someone please help me...

Go indy and work with Frank, Mark, or me. You just better be sure your ready for indy. I think starting out captive would be better for you. They will train you. I would train you as well but you have to actually listen. I think 90% of agents need hearing aids and are a waste of my breath. Are you coachable?

If you are in p & c I would say you should have stayed @ allstate for at least a year.

Last edited:
I dont think any of you even read my question... I am not asking about whether to sell L&H or P&C... I am asking about how to protect myself and make sure I am working for the right broker, so I dont get screwed out of my book or lose my residual... can someone please help me...

I read your question; did you read my answer?

I think you asked about this on another thread. Where in nj do you live.Their is a broker in Ft Lee NJ. looking for agents. and another one in Jersy City, NJ. another one in sussex county, NJ. If you are near anyone of them i can look up the information for you.... The Sussex conty one i think he wants a 60/40 split. your book.

If Allstate was offering you a salary and training, ditching them may have been a bit premature.

Before I say anything else, judging from the title of this thread and how desperate you sound, this might not be the right industry for you or at least not the independent route. If you're going indy and want to own your book (even if it's working under someone else's shop), you're going to have to go on a straight commission and it will most likely take time to build up your commissions. If you aren't prepared to be broke for a while, you may want to consider doing something else.

If you go against the advice of moving on, you probably need to find an indy agency that will work with you on a split basis and let you own the business. Considering how much training and help it sounds like you'll need, you may not be able to find someone willing to go more than 50/50, but that can also change a lot depending on how much business you're bringing.

To answer the question of "I have my license, so why not" in reference to selling life and health, the answer is because it's infinitely more work than you seem to think it is. Finding prospects, being proficient with products, getting appointed, and working through life or health are different critters and a serious commitment. Life agents are different than health agents, even within the senior market. The guys and gals that sell FE are a different breed than those that primarily sell Med supps. The folks that sell auto and homeowners are different than the folks that sell commercial insurance. It's a much more specialized industry than I believe you're giving it credit for.

Bottom line: You should probably go work somewhere else because it sounds like you're not financially/emotionally prepared for this (Please help me, my life is on the line is more than a bit dramatic). If you decide to roll forward anyway, look for an indy shop that will put you on a decent split and provide support so that you can get all the hand holding you need and have an agreement where you own the business, a lot of independent multiline agencies already have programs like that in place.

Good luck with whatever you do!

Well Said!

Back