New Agent with Life Insurance

vnixnj

So recently I got into an internship with a well-known life insurance company. Before I get into acquiring the license and locking myself in with this company for the summer, I wanted to get some ideas as to what I should be expecting at this company.

I've read countless reviews from people who claim to have worked for the company and they seem to have a very mixed feeling about the job. As an insurance agent, the calling inevitably starts with friends and family. Let me make it known that I have a very impressive sales record on my resume and I'm comfortable with presenting the sales to people who would generally be interested. However, having been in the shoes of a salesman, I have to say that life insurance sales is a complete different story.

Let's take Ralph Lauren for example. People walk into the store looking to buy polo shirts or suits that they are generally interested in. If you didn't like the style, you wouldn't have walked into the store in the first place unless there's someone in your party who is generally interested. They're like the walk-in leads.

The point is that I definitely have the sales ability and I can even do cold calling all day. The only thing I worry and the one this company seems to stress is working within your networks or in other words, you're going to be the asshole who try to sell, not just anything, but life insurance to friends and family. If I'm not ready to sell to friends and family, which I am not ever going to do, I have to know how else I could succeed in this business.

The job is 100% commission based and although this is a big name company, it just seems like a glorified pyramid to me. (referrals etc.)

The final question is,
Am I going to look like the new and shitty intern who just walked into the company just to put that name on the resume and not accomplish anything as far as sales?

I understand that I'm off to a much worse start if I'm not starting with family and friends but I want to realize the severity of how much this job will not fit me if I'm willing to work within my networks. Clearly I want the job and would be nice if it was a bearable for someone like me. If I'm not going to make a noticeable recognition as a new intern in the company, I want to start looking somewhere else.

So recently I got into an internship with a well-known life insurance company. Before I get into acquiring the license and locking myself in with this company for the summer, I wanted to get some ideas as to what I should be expecting at this company.

I've read countless reviews from people who claim to have worked for the company and they seem to have a very mixed feeling about the job. As an insurance agent, the calling inevitably starts with friends and family. Let me make it known that I have a very impressive sales record on my resume and I'm comfortable with presenting the sales to people who would generally be interested. However, having been in the shoes of a salesman, I have to say that life insurance sales is a complete different story.

Let's take Ralph Lauren for example. People walk into the store looking to buy polo shirts or suits that they are generally interested in. If you didn't like the style, you wouldn't have walked into the store in the first place unless there's someone in your party who is generally interested. They're like the walk-in leads.

The point is that I definitely have the sales ability and I can even do cold calling all day. The only thing I worry and the one this company seems to stress is working within your networks or in other words, you're going to be the asshole who try to sell, not just anything, but life insurance to friends and family. If I'm not ready to sell to friends and family, which I am not ever going to do, I have to know how else I could succeed in this business.

The job is 100% commission based and although this is a big name company, it just seems like a glorified pyramid to me. (referrals etc.)

The final question is,
Am I going to look like the new and shitty intern who just walked into the company just to put that name on the resume and not accomplish anything as far as sales?

I understand that I'm off to a much worse start if I'm not starting with family and friends but I want to realize the severity of how much this job will not fit me if I'm willing to work within my networks. Clearly I want the job and would be nice if it was a bearable for someone like me. If I'm not going to make a noticeable recognition as a new intern in the company, I want to start looking somewhere else.

I think you should look for a career in another industry.

........ If I'm not going to make a noticeable recognition as a new intern in the company, I want to start looking somewhere else.

You statement tells me you do not understand the insurance gig at all. Because it is pure sales and 100% commission it has nothing to do with recognition. This is a business where what you make and how much you accomplish is not controlled by some boss it is controlled by you. That is the beauty and that is the downside.

The things you can gain through your internship are learning products, learning how to cold call, how to prospect, how to make presentation, how to close the sale, etc. It is a great opportunity and could be valuable experience no matter where you wind up in your career.

However, based upon the attitude I detect in your post I would say do something else if you have the opportunity. You seemed to have judged this internship before you ever started.

The final question is,

Doesn't sound like this is for you. You seem to want a 9-5 job where you get employee-of-the-month.

There are only two people you really need to impress at the end of the month.

You and your bank account. Who gives a crap what anyone else thinks. If you are satisfied with your performance and realized the income you wanted or need, that is all that matters.

That said, you are a sales manager's wet dream. They always want to look for people who strive for that recognition, they are easier to manage. You'll jump through every hoop they put in front of you to hit every contest and bonus. You probably won't even stop to think if you did the right thing for the client and your ethics. And if you really like that kind of recognition, there are plenty of companies that will heap more of it on you than Northwestern. How they convince people to pay their own way to Milwaukee in the summer is beyond me.

Also, hitting those 40 lives in 3 months is easier than you might think. It will still be hard, but it is easier than most ways. However, I can already tell by what you've posted, you'll never think of it.

I tried to read your post 3 times in a row but had to stop due to headaches. I'm sorry friend, but I see your clients quietly excusing themselves from your sales presentation to go suck start a shotgun in their bedroom. BUT I did hear Ralph Lauren is nice this time of year.

In all seriousness, best of luck.

Let me start off by saying that you're not going to succeed just by selling to friends and family. And it makes you the asshole that nobody wants to talk to at gatherings, for fear that you'll bring up life insurance.

I personally don't like selling to friends and family unless they ask me first, then it's game on. Just make more cold calls, knock on more doors, and walk into more businesses than that successful agent and you'll be fine.

Let me start off by saying that you're not going to succeed just by selling to friends and family. And it makes you the asshole that nobody wants to talk to at gatherings, for fear that you'll bring up life insurance.

I personally don't like selling to friends and family unless they ask me first, then it's game on. Just make more cold calls, knock on more doors, and walk into more businesses than that successful agent and you'll be fine.

Great advice, you will have live off of cold calling which is easier said than done. You will gain some good practical experience and will be able to determine if the insurance business is the right career path for you.

I understand where you are coming from. For me I don't like the office politics and BS of some of the big company jobs. I know I was born to be and Indy, no matter what field I'm in. Don't worry what people think. If you don't like the atmosphere, then leave before you feel like you can't.

I also agree with you on the friends and family crap. No thanks to that. I posted on my facebook what I do and how I can help them. It's up to any of my network if they want my help. I would be glad to help them if they asked, but there are so many other things you can do to drum up business.

I can show you what I did to go Indy if you want. And I'm not recruiter so no stress there.

Back