new business

You can also buy lists from Lead Concepts. When I order a list it is for people with incomes of $12,000 and above and ages 67 to78.

I find that ordering a list or sending a mailing to people turning 65 to be a waste of both time and money.

I think Rick will agree (or not) that the return cards that are received are still just a name, address and phone number. I have worked thousands of them and I don't remember more than a couple of people saying that they recall filling out the card and sending it in.

However, there is a "warm and fuzzy" factor that comes with calling the returned cards. It helps the agent believe that the people he/she is calling aren't "cold calls", that they are really calling a person who is genuinely interested. (coughBS)

It just seems like a lot of money to spend, probably around $350 per thousand, when a list of 1,000 is around $100.00 from Lead Concepts.

"Cold calling" from a list does work extremely well in the senior market. They are all on Medicare and they all need something additional.

I haven't purchased a list in about two years. I keep recycling those in my prospects database. Just because they say they aren't interested today doesn't mean that 6 to 12 months from now they won't be ready to change to a different company because of premium increases.

Any agent who throws senior "leads" away is pissing away a lot of money. If you are going to throw them away or put them in a big box send them to me.

You can also buy lists from Lead Concepts. When I order a list it is for people with incomes of $12,000 and above and ages 67 to78.

I find that ordering a list or sending a mailing to people turning 65 to be a waste of both time and money.

I think Rick will agree (or not) that the return cards that are received are still just a name, address and phone number. I have worked thousands of them and I don't remember more than a couple of people saying that they recall filling out the card and sending it in.

However, there is a "warm and fuzzy" factor that comes with calling the returned cards. It helps the agent believe that the people he/she is calling aren't "cold calls", that they are really calling a person who is genuinely interested. (coughBS)

It just seems like a lot of money to spend, probably around $350 per thousand, when a list of 1,000 is around $100.00 from Lead Concepts.

"Cold calling" from a list does work extremely well in the senior market. They are all on Medicare and they all need something additional.

I haven't purchased a list in about two years. I keep recycling those in my prospects database. Just because they say they aren't interested today doesn't mean that 6 to 12 months from now they won't be ready to change to a different company because of premium increases.

Any agent who throws senior "leads" away is pissing away a lot of money. If you are going to throw them away or put them in a big box send them to me.

Frank, this is a great post with good information for all of us neophytes. The only thing I would add is that a returned card gets us around any problem with the DNC lists.

Frank, this is a great post with good information for all of us neophytes. The only thing I would add is that a returned card gets us around any problem with the DNC lists.

Good thought.

However, I don't concern myself too much with that. Assuming I make the initial contact I always ask if it is okay with them if I call back within the next 12 months just to see if their situation has changed. (A lot of Med Supp companies have annual increases.) They very rarely say no. That leaves it wide open for me to call them again without worrying about the "damn list".

Although there are agents out there who will swear that they personally "know an agent" who has been fined I find that very doubtful. It is usually, I know a guy who has a cousin that lives next door to a woman who said she heard in the grocery store that...

I have never had anyone get upset because I called them again, regardless if they are on the list or not. Actually I have never had someone even mention the DNC list even if their name is on it when calling from a list.

I think the way the call is handled makes all the difference. I call them Mr. or Mrs., introduce myself and explain why I am calling. I don't say "Hey Bill, how you doing? Been trying to get you for a couple of days..."

When someone calls me Frank and asks how I'm doing I immediately hang up on them. I love caller ID.

Frank,

When you call these folks what product(s)are you trying to set an appointment for?

What is your approach? Script?

Frank,

When you call these folks what product(s)are you trying to set an appointment for?

What is your approach? Script?

Medicare Supplement. I won't sell PFFS plans and HMO's and PPO's are not available for me to sell. I don't like them either though.

I don't use a "script", never have. Any agent who uses a "script" are going to sound like they are using a "script". I believe the secret to telemarking seniors is to know everything about Medicare and Medicare Supplement policies and only make logical and factual statements.

If you would like to give me a call I can discuss what I say with you.

It is all about keeping it conversational and relaxed. I try to come across just like the guy next door calling to say hi. After my initial "hello" I kind of let the prospect think they are guiding the conversation but I am in total control at all times.

That is until they begin making disparaging remarks about my heritage. :D

And what would that be, Frank?:skeptical:

Apparently you haven't made very many "cold calls". Frank is one of the nicer things they have called me. I really don't care what they call me as long as they buy a policy.

Depending on the moment in time, Jacqueline has some very interesting names she uses.

Actually I have even had some of them call me "Arnguy". :D

Back