New Guy From Kentucky

DeanZiegler

I've been reading topics here for a few weeks, thought I would finally sign up. I'm looking for a career change where I can help people and make money to support my family. Laid off from my last job that I was a supervisor at for 10 years. No sales experience so kinda nervous about selling insurance but with good training I'm confident I can succeed.

Thanks to all the wonderful people here who offer so much to newbies like me.

I've been reading topics here for a few weeks, thought I would finally sign up. I'm looking for a career change where I can help people and make money to support my family. Laid off from my last job that I was a supervisor at for 10 years. No sales experience so kinda nervous about selling insurance but with good training I'm confident I can succeed.

Welcome! What part of KY are you from? I bleed blue.

DeanZiegler said:

If you have been reading for some time you know a couple of things:

1. Do not assign your commissions.
2. If going captive make sure the company fits the market you want to work.
3. If captive you want to know what the carrier will do to get you in front of people beside a project 200.
4. If not going captive I would not place all contracts with just 1 upline until they prove they are worth it.

I'm new too. Keep reading the topics and posts on the message board. I've learned so much from the folks on this website.

If you have been reading for some time you know a couple of things:

1. Do not assign your commissions.
2. If going captive make sure the company fits the market you want to work.
3. If captive you want to know what the carrier will do to get you in front of people beside a project 200.
4. If not going captive I would not place all contracts with just 1 upline until they prove they are worth it.

I would prefer not to go captive but I feel I will need the training as I have 0 experience.
Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it as they will help greatly. I've been reading so much about what types to sell, getting information on different companies, pros/cons of going independent, that I haven't even though of how to get started with the licensing and pre-licensing process.

DeanZiegler said:
I would prefer not to go captive but I feel I will need the training as I have 0 experience.
Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it as they will help greatly. I've been reading so much about what types to sell, getting information on different companies, pros/cons of going independent, that I haven't even though of how to get started with the licensing and pre-licensing process.

If you go captive make sure to question your manager hard about how he will help you get in front of prospects. Does the branch do any joint work? Can you speak with some 1,2 and 3rd year reps.

Talk to Metlife Western Southern, and AGLA. They all pay a base salary at the start.

I started indy not too long ago, I have to say it's been rough. I was lucky enough to get with an IMO who have really helped me out. They help with contracting, E & O, training, quotes, illustrations, webinars, seminars, you name it. They'll always answer a newby question. Everything except prospecting. That's the big one. Getting in front of prospects is on me and the most difficult. Just got certification to sell LTC today, but it doesn't do any good if I don't talk to anyone about it.

I don't know if I would go captive first knowing what I know now, but training and a salary could be a good deal.

(BTW-my sister lives in Bowling Green; nephew at KU-go cats and hilltoppers)

I started indy not too long ago, I have to say it's been rough. I was lucky enough to get with an IMO who have really helped me out. They help with contracting, E & O, training, quotes, illustrations, webinars, seminars, you name it. They'll always answer a newby question. Everything except prospecting. That's the big one. Getting in front of prospects is on me and the most difficult. Just got certification to sell LTC today, but it doesn't do any good if I don't talk to anyone about it.

I don't know if I would go captive first knowing what I know now, but training and a salary could be a good deal.

(BTW-my sister lives in Bowling Green; nephew at KU-go cats and hilltoppers)

KU is Kansas University. Don't ever mix that up again and stay in Ky.:yes:

Latest posts

Back