New to Insurance, Not to Sales.

You are correct. I apologize for how I came off. If you look at my initial post introducing myself I think you will see that wasn't my initial intention. I have read many of your past posts VolAgent and really respect your perspective.

You are correct. I apologize for how I came off. If you look at my initial post introducing myself I think you will see that wasn't my initial intention. I have read many of your past posts VolAgent and really respect your perspective.

No worries. Just remember, the person you are responding to isn't the only one reading your posts.

I believe it was Oprah who recently said, "Write every email as if it will be printed in the New York Times." Perhaps a bit overboard, but certainly good advice.

Ask your questions, tell us what you are looking to do and you will gets tons of advice. Lots good, lots bad and lots indifferent. Also, be prepared to answer questions about your questions so you can get more specific advice.

Thanks DHK, that was a constructive post. I will check those out.

----------

Question= "any other Iowans here?" not "anybody trying to jack up their post number with BS?"

You're welcome.

BTW, you'll notice that the Introductions forum doesn't increase your "post number" with every post.

Goillini52 is just 'comic relief' most of the time. Life is too short to be really serious.

Keep in mind how much you're paying for the forum and all our collective "wisdom"... and it's still a pretty decent rate of return for your time and participation invested.

You're welcome.

BTW, you'll notice that the Introductions forum doesn't increase your "post number" with every post.

Goillini52 is just 'comic relief' most of the time. Life is too short to be really serious.

Keep in mind how much you're paying for the forum and all our collective "wisdom"... and it's still a pretty decent rate of return for your time and participation invested.

Great points. I haven't been around long enough to learn each persons intricacies, I apologize for being overly defensive. Making people think less of me was not the purpose of the initial post. I am just a guy who 3/4 of the way through a master's in counseling took a 100% commission job selling payment processing, kicked butt, averaged $4000 in commissions a week....then they started dragging their feet on payments. I realized I LOVE MAKING THE SALE, but I want paid for it. Left school, going in to insurance 110%. I am 35. I have worked hard long hours. I was in the infantry. I have done construction. I will feed my kids regardless of 12 hour days 7 days a week!

Really appreciating this forum! Any other Iowans here? I just got my health and accident license yesterday and am appointed with Family Heritage.

You are new to insurance sales and that's completely different than selling anything else.

Don't start with preconceived notions on how to sell insurance. Find someone in the field that you want to tackle and then mirror what that person does. Preferably someone successful in the field you wish to work.

You are new to insurance sales and that's completely different than selling anything else.

Don't start with preconceived notions on how to sell insurance. Find someone in the field that you want to tackle and then mirror what that person does. Preferably someone successful in the field you wish to work.

Thanks. Yeah, that is the plan. All I know is, work hard at any job and you will probably do better than most.

Thanks. Yeah, that is the plan. All I know is, work hard at any job and you will probably do better than most.

That's not true though. I know of many agents that worked their asses off and didn't have success. It's a good start to work hard but working hard at the wrong things is still a recipe for failure.

That's not true though. I know of many agents that worked their asses off and didn't have success. It's a good start to work hard but working hard at the wrong things is still a recipe for failure.

"Work hard" in an office or actually WORK hard knocking doors?

"Work hard" in an office or actually WORK hard knocking doors?

I don't anything about working in an office but I know of many agents that worked their asses off running leads, making appointments, doorknocking, etc. They didn't understand the business. They heard all this BS about "numbers game" and just worked without a plan of action and without proper training.

Most of them that failed miserable came in to insurance sales claiming to be able to sell anything.

I don't anything about working in an office but I know of many agents that worked their asses off running leads, making appointments, doorknocking, etc. They didn't understand the business. They heard all this BS about "numbers game" and just worked without a plan of action and without proper training.

Most of them that failed miserable came in to insurance sales claiming to be able to sell anything.

well let's keep our fingers crossed for me then!

Back