Newbie in A Situation Only an *** Could be In

2) The website that they recommend has been screwed up almost everytime I needed it. My website is supposed to link to that page, but it's always messed up. I'm now in the process of trying to figure out workarounds because I don't want to be on the phone with a client and not be able to access the main web page and be unable to run quotes.

Hello Blaze,

There are several (good and not so good) website companies that specialize in insurance agent websites... and yes, I work for one of the good ones. ;-) We make both high-end custom and lower cost "ready made" websites for agents.

One problem many agents run into when wanting to change website companies is the domain name - do you own the domain name? Many believe they do, but when they try to leave their current company, they find out otherwise. It's a very shady tactic by registering a domain name "for you", but it's actually in their name.

Thanks,

Michael Garner
michael.garner(at)insWebsites.com
INS Digital Media

Last edited:
As I look over this post, I could not hold back any longer. I work and train agents and IMOs how to properly sell insurance from their desk. I believe the #1 problem with all agents that struggle is the ability to tell their story to enough prospects to yield the desired income. You can send me a personal message to discuss more.

Mark, Mark, you're back again!

It wouldn't be the same without a commercial from you every once in a while...you remind me of Igor, or whoever that Russian dude was that used to post his turds on here a while back.

Yes Mark, you are certainly a "giver".

Tell me, do your coaching/training/consulting/whatever programs cure bad breath too?

At the end of May I started with this captive agency that only sold Assurant products in Florida but offered a nice training package (straight commission, of course) and initially I liked the organization. They seemed structured, goal-oriented and on the come-up. After a couple of months I realized that they don't quite have their stuff together and in a sense they were learning on my dime. In addition, in my market Assurant is really expensive and although I believe strongly that it is the best product (when reviewing the brochures, it's just a lot cleaner than GR's, BC, Aetna, etc.), I know that I'm shooting myself in the foot for a large market of people that aren't willing to pay 200-300 dollars more a month for the same type of coverage with a lesser company.

Anyway, because of personal reasons I decided that I needed to try working out of my home. Working over the internet just offers better bang for my buck because I can get to more people. An insurance sales presentation in person can take two-three and half hours. An internet sales presentation can take thirty minutes. My plan was to hook with a company that has been referenced on this board, learn how to sell over the internet and at the same time increase my commission percentage. I know that people usually recommend going at it alone, but I felt like I needed some internet sales training.

So, I plunked down my money for the first round of leads--and they seem okay, but:
1) They are supposed to be handling my appointment process, but I've had to contact the insurance carriers directly to verify that I've been appointed. I also found out I was appointed through another company that doesn't really work well with my given market.

2) The website that they recommend has been screwed up almost everytime I needed it. My website is supposed to link to that page, but it's always messed up. I'm now in the process of trying to figure out workarounds because I don't want to be on the phone with a client and not be able to access the main web page and be unable to run quotes.

3). They've recommended and appointed me with several CI products that are too high for my area, it's clear that they are clueless as to th needs of my market.

Then I see, via link on this website a potential telemarketing company that's cheaper than what I'm paying now. In other words, now that I see a telemarketing company that might be worthwhile, why should I mess with these guys?

So, how the hell do I get out from under these guys and get on my own? I haven't issued any business with them, but I still have three months to kill with original company before I can sign up with someone else for Assurant. Plus, as for the polishing my internet sales may need, are there any recommendations?

Sorry for the long post.
The grass is not necessarly greener on the other side, it is just fertilized with a different brand. The health insurance business runs in cycles, this year one company will be more expensive than another and the next year the reverse. If what you are looking for is price, the cheapest then you may consider P&C business, in the health business the key is building a book of business to build renewals. Two down sides of renewals, first you have to put the business on the books, second you have to still be with the company to get the renewals.

The truth is you have to sell in steps, sell the appointment first, sell the interview 2nd, sell yourself 3rd then sell the company. When value exceeds cost people buy.

The advantage of a career shop is you get to learn from those who have already made the mistakes you are now making. You learn two ways in this business, by knowledge and by wisdom, knowledge is learning from your own mistakes (as you are finding out), very expensive and time consuming, wisdom is learning from the mistakes of others.

Go back to the career shop, learn to make appointments, go make presentations and perfect your selling personality. Your success will come from your activity, not from sales. So far what you have described is what others are not doing rathere than what you are doing.

Get in front of people if you want to grow. Remember ego stunts your growth, you have to get a little bloodie to heal and grow.

Good luck

Just wanted to post an update on my ridiculous situation. About a month weeks ago, my broker recommended using this telemarketing company that he had become impressed with. He said that many of his guys were having problems with Vimo and that this new company seemed like the way to go. I told him let's try them, forked over my credit info and waited...

Now since this was taking place over the holidays, I wasn't up in arms when the week turnaround that he had promised didn't go through. After Christmas I drop him a line, because now it has been several weeks and I'm wondering whether the leads were purchased but just never made it to my e-mail. Once I finally reach the guy he explains to me that many of his guys were running into brick walls over the holidays and thus, he decided to wait until after the holidays before purchasing any new leads. This is probably sound reasoning, but it would have been really helpful if he had told me this without me having to track him down. That's what e-mail is for. He then went on to tell me that he he expected the new leads to come in the following week.

That was last week.

Wednesday rolls around and I don't have any leads so I drop him an e-mail. No answer. I leave a message on Thursday and then I called again on Friday. On Friday he explains to me that his new telemarketer only wants one paycheck from the company as opposed to having his agents forward all of their individual checks to him. That's fine, but what does that have to do with me, I ask. Well, since all of his well-to-do agents, who definitely have the money, haven't been proactive in sending in their checks, he's stuck and can't purchase new leads. Okay, so when will this resolve itself? He can't answer that question. So, what am I supposed to do in the meantime? There's always those Vimo leads is what he says. Hunh? Also, when and if this does resolve itself, he'll need me to mail in a check as well. My credit card information won't suffice.

Then I say to him why didn't you respond to my e-mail or give me some kind of heads up sooner so that I could make other arrangements. He has no answer for this one. He also can't do any kind of advance for anyone working a humana deal. They are all paid as earned. Lastly, my website takes a long time to lead, whether I try to hit up the website in the middle of the night or at noon time. In short, I've made a pretty bad decision hooking up with these guys and if I had a little more balls, I would mention their name.

Argh!

Just wanted to post an update on my ridiculous situation. About a month weeks ago, my broker recommended using this telemarketing company that he had become impressed with. He said that many of his guys were having problems with Vimo and that this new company seemed like the way to go. I told him let's try them, forked over my credit info and waited...

Now since this was taking place over the holidays, I wasn't up in arms when the week turnaround that he had promised didn't go through. After Christmas I drop him a line, because now it has been several weeks and I'm wondering whether the leads were purchased but just never made it to my e-mail. Once I finally reach the guy he explains to me that many of his guys were running into brick walls over the holidays and thus, he decided to wait until after the holidays before purchasing any new leads. This is probably sound reasoning, but it would have been really helpful if he had told me this without me having to track him down. That's what e-mail is for. He then went on to tell me that he he expected the new leads to come in the following week.

That was last week.

Wednesday rolls around and I don't have any leads so I drop him an e-mail. No answer. I leave a message on Thursday and then I called again on Friday. On Friday he explains to me that his new telemarketer only wants one paycheck from the company as opposed to having his agents forward all of their individual checks to him. That's fine, but what does that have to do with me, I ask. Well, since all of his well-to-do agents, who definitely have the money, haven't been proactive in sending in their checks, he's stuck and can't purchase new leads. Okay, so when will this resolve itself? He can't answer that question. So, what am I supposed to do in the meantime? There's always those Vimo leads is what he says. Hunh? Also, when and if this does resolve itself, he'll need me to mail in a check as well. My credit card information won't suffice.

Then I say to him why didn't you respond to my e-mail or give me some kind of heads up sooner so that I could make other arrangements. He has no answer for this one. He also can't do any kind of advance for anyone working a humana deal. They are all paid as earned. Lastly, my website takes a long time to lead, whether I try to hit up the website in the middle of the night or at noon time. In short, I've made a pretty bad decision hooking up with these guys and if I had a little more balls, I would mention their name.

Argh!

You're obviously a lot more patient then I am and I commend you for that. Borrow Bob's since he no longer needs them due to Chumps moving in to his newly renovated trailer palace. Then, go have a face to face discussion with the telemarketing company owner and your friend about what his results were with the company. What was the basis of the telemarketing agreement? Cost per lead? Hours worked? etc. etc.....

That was last week.

Argh!

You'll have his attention when you reverse the charges on your card. I'd be on the phone with Visa Monday morning.

That was last week.

Argh!

Not to sound mean but who's business are you running, his or yours. You have waited what looks like about a month for this guy to jump start your busines and you are blaming him for not following through?

You may want to focus on what you can do, not what others are not doing. You can go online and order internet leads, telemarket leads or a driect mail drop from any vendor just by typing in those key words in google (internet lead, telemarket lead, direct mail lead) and jump start your own business. You could have already had the leads by now and maybe already made a sale!

You can also spend your time visiting small businesses in strip malls in the same time you have been running this guy down. This activity could have already led to some appointments.

Again I'm not trying to sound mean but why did you get in your own business, if it was to be independent and have control over your future then why are you giving control to this guy and depending on him.

Look at some other postings here and put together an activity plan and get to work. Go make mistakes, make presentations and get objections, that's how you will learn the business, not sitting around waiting for someone else to make you successful.

We all agree this guys a loser, don't join the BT club (bout to) go make something happen or quit.

Remember no decission is a decission..

You CAN do this business (anyone can), the real question is WILL you do this business?

Last edited:
Not to sound mean but who's business are you running, his or yours. You have waited what looks like about a month for this guy to jump start your busines and you are blaming him for not following through?

You may want to focus on what you can do, not what others are not doing. You can go online and order internet leads, telemarket leads or a driect mail drop from any vendor just by typing in those key words in google (internet lead, telemarket lead, direct mail lead) and jump start your own business. You could have already had the leads by now and maybe already made a sale!

You can also spend your time visiting small businesses in strip malls in the same time you have been running this guy down. This activity could have already led to some appointments.

Again I'm not trying to sound mean but why did you get in your own business, if it was to be independent and have control over your future then why are you giving control to this guy and depending on him.

Look at some other postings here and put together an activity plan and get to work. Go make mistakes, make presentations and get objections, that's how you will learn the business, not sitting around waiting for someone else to make you successful.

We all agree this guys a loser, don't join the BT club (bout to) go make something happen or quit.

Remember no decision is a decision.

You CAN do this business (anyone can), the real question is WILL you do this business?

If you read my first post you would know that I was doing this business before running with these guys. In fact, at my first gig, which I just started in last June, I became salesman of the month my third month with those guys. Incidentally, my first group that I was one of the top producers for assurant products. So, the skill or ability is there. Secondly, this was all taking place during the holidays, a period that is typically a slow sales period for a lot of insurance agents. In fact, making the transition from my old company to my new company during this period seemed like a pretty smart idea. Third, I did find another telemarketing company, and should have those leads sometime next week. Fourth, again, if you read my first post, the plan was to get training, if I needed any, to help sell the product over the phone, as opposed to in person, which I was doing with my first position.

And hell yes I blame him/them for not following through. Their website advertises telemarketed, not internet leads. This was a huge selling point. If they can't do that, then what good are they? Some people can do the door to door sending out flyers stuff, and there's nothing wrong with that. By most accounts on this website, internet leads suck. I currently and only temporarily have the means to buy telemarketed leads, so that's what I'm going to do.

No decision is a decision? I decided to go with what I thought was a better organization offering better contracts, telemarketed leads and a worthwhile training system. What I got, on the other hand, is something entirely different.

Back