Newly licensed CA

mayhem87

Wow all I can say is I wish I found this site before I decided to become a agent/broker.
Well after working for a health insurance company/Health MGA for a little over a year in the commission department I decided in March i wanted to persue a career in insurance. Man what a start I have had. I first got my life and health lic in april and was supposed to join American Income Life. Well things didnt work out and i ended up leaving them after a month of being strung along with crappy training and no pay.
So I went on some interviews and was suckered into becoming a allstate subproducer. So i have been there a month taking my P&C test on Tuesday. Well as part of my training i have been actually selling auto and renters (i know its a no no but hey gotta learn right...). Got my first commission check and was now told since im not licensed yet im getting referral pay.... 50 bucks a auto sale (sold 8) and 20 a renters (sold 4) all in two weeks.... Wow im pissed im selling insurance but im getting shafted in pay cause im not licensed... Learned my lesson.

So now here I am on this board trying to figure out what to do next. After doing some reading sounds like there are alot more life and health people on here. But with having both where should i go. Im not looking to make huge profits quick but am not wanting to waste time earning lots for someone else. I was thinking about going captive still for more training but eventually want to go independent so i dont get pushed into selling things i dont want to sell. should i just start searching for local agencies? I am still young 22 almost 23 with no prior selling experience. Eventually what i want to do is buy a existing agency so i dont have to worry alot when starting out and build from there.

Wow all I can say is I wish I found this site before I decided to become a agent/broker.
Well after working for a health insurance company/Health MGA for a little over a year in the commission department I decided in March i wanted to persue a career in insurance. Man what a start I have had. I first got my life and health lic in april and was supposed to join American Income Life. Well things didnt work out and i ended up leaving them after a month of being strung along with crappy training and no pay.
So I went on some interviews and was suckered into becoming a allstate subproducer. So i have been there a month taking my P&C test on Tuesday. Well as part of my training i have been actually selling auto and renters (i know its a no no but hey gotta learn right...). Got my first commission check and was now told since im not licensed yet im getting referral pay.... 50 bucks a auto sale (sold 8) and 20 a renters (sold 4) all in two weeks.... Wow im pissed im selling insurance but im getting shafted in pay cause im not licensed... Learned my lesson.

So now here I am on this board trying to figure out what to do next. After doing some reading sounds like there are alot more life and health people on here. But with having both where should i go. Im not looking to make huge profits quick but am not wanting to waste time earning lots for someone else. I was thinking about going captive still for more training but eventually want to go independent so i dont get pushed into selling things i dont want to sell. should i just start searching for local agencies? I am still young 22 almost 23 with no prior selling experience. Eventually what i want to do is buy a existing agency so i dont have to worry alot when starting out and build from there.

I would recommend concentrating on a niche...

Either
Med Supp/Adv. (Learning Curve)
Underage Health (Learning Curve)
Life Insurance (Pretty Straight Forward)

YOu can make alot of money doing one or a combo of any of these areas.

Just so you know, the referral bonus you received probably is close to the commission for the policies you wrote.

In P&C, it's not so much about the upfront commissions, but about the volume of renewals.

I received the best experience with Blue Cross. Name recognition will bring you income and they have all health products. If the agency was able to stay in business I would probably still be there.
:cool:

Just so you know, the referral bonus you received probably is close to the commission for the policies you wrote.

In P&C, it's not so much about the upfront commissions, but about the volume of renewals.

hmm write 5k in business and only get 460 seems like a waste to me. and the only reason i got that much was that i sold over 10 policies in 2 weeks or it would have been $25 a car policy and $10 for renters. I feel really shafted... and on top of that i would have to do it for another month cause im still not appointed....

Back