No One PLANS on Getting Sick

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
I recently posted a video with this title to my YT channel. Some videos get comments, some do not. This AM I was notified of a new comment, which is pasted below.

My precious brother died unexpectedly two years ago because of a congenital heart condition. He knew he had it but never went to a doctor his entire adult life (he died at the age of 68). He felt fine, he said--until he didn't, and then it was too late. He too took just the "free" Medicare Part A part when he qualified for Medicare, though I tried to talk him into at least an Advantage plan, which I don't ever recommend, but for him, this was better than just Part A. He didn't do it. He certainly didn't want to pay for a supplemental plan, the only real way to go for all of us. He died. It broke our hearts. I had a mess to clean up afterwards with hospital and doctors' bills. Had to tell all of them my brother only had Part A and they wrote it all off because my brother had no money when he died and I wasn't responsible. How foolish of him because he was stubborn. Please listen to Bob Vineyard.

That is sad for sure. If encountering people who only have A, they of course can apply for B in January through end of March now, but if not covered for some years, they will have the 10% penalty. There is no official listing that I can find about how the 10% is calculated, and best not to try to make a definitive estimate for the client, same as Part D penalty. If it's 10% for each year and based on current year's rate then it would increase over time.
Anyone have experience with that?

Part B late enrollment penalty

Generally, you won’t have to pay a Part B penalty if you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period. Learn more about Special Enrollment Periods. (see below)

You’ll pay an extra 10% for each year you could have signed up for Part B, but didn’t.

You may also pay a higher premium depending on your income.
https://www.medicare.gov/basics/costs/medicare-costs/avoid-penalties

Special Situations (Special Enrollment Period)

After your first chance to sign up (Initial Enrollment Period), there are certain situations when you can sign up for Part B (and Premium-Part A) without paying a late enrollment penalty. A Special Enrollment Period is only available for a limited time. If you don’t sign up during your Special Enrollment Period, you’ll have to wait for the next General Enrollment Period and you might have to pay a monthly late enrollment penalty.

https://www.medicare.gov/basics/get-started-with-medicare/sign-up/when-does-medicare-coverage-start

The person who posted the comment has been a client for a number of years. Some time ago she told me about her brother but I had forgotten the story until she commented on the video. We had several conversations about options for her brother, including Medicaid.

My recollection is he did not qualify for Medicaid and refused "to be a charity case" even if he was to qualify.

Ironic that, in the end, he was treated as one who was eligible for charity and his sister had to handle his affairs.

Back